• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Arrow are not addressed somewhere

In the name of the Merciful Allah,
    Hi, I have this quote in a book of mine: There are few questions about intelligence that are not addressed somewhere in the scope of this book. I'm not quite sure of the writer's point of this. Does he mean that those questions aren't addressed anywhere else? And so, they are in his book only. If so, why didn't he use anywhere instead of somewhere? Or he mean that those questions are not addressed in his book at all? Again, if so, why somewhere and not anywhere? I hope I spelled out my problem clearly. Thanks ahead.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: are not addressed somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Egyption Arrow View Post
    In the name of the Merciful Allah,
    Hi, I have this quote in a book of mine: There are few questions about intelligence that are not addressed somewhere in the scope of this book. I'm not quite sure of the writer's point of this. Does he mean that those questions aren't addressed anywhere else? And so, they are in his book only. If so, why didn't he use anywhere instead of somewhere? Or he mean that those questions are not addressed in his book at all? Again, if so, why somewhere and not anywhere? I hope I spelled out my problem clearly. Thanks ahead.
    The writer means that there are not very many questions about intelligence that are not adressed in the book. In other words, most of the questions about intelligence are dealt with in the book.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Your explanation is so reasonable, bhaisahab. Yet, somewhere is confusing me. Shouldn't be anywhere, since the sentence is negative!

No. because somewhere indicates that the information is to be found in the text at some point or other.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Your reply confused me more, Anglika. You said that the information is to be found in the text at some point or other, whereas bhaisahab told me that those questions aren't dealt with in the book.
    Any way, after further thinking about it, I concluded that the writer refers that there are some parts in the book cover the majority of the questions about intelligence, but not all. So somewhereis used to indicate the generalisation of this estimate. I can see this quote in this new order: somewhere in the scope of this book there are few questions that are not addressed. Do you agree?
    Last edited by Egyption Arrow; 14-Jul-2008 at 02:33.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Egyption Arrow View Post
    Your reply confused me more, Anglika. You said that the information is to be found in the text at some point or other, whereas bhaisahab told me that those questions aren't dealt with in the book.
    Any way, after further thinking about it, I concluded that the writer refers that there are some parts in the book cover the majority of the questions about intelligence, but not all. So somewhereis used to indicate the generalisation of this estimate. I can see this quote in this new order: somewhere in the scope of this book there are few questions that are not addressed. Do you agree?
    Please read my post again, I told you that most of these questions are dealt with in the book. Which of course means that not all possible questions are answered.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Yes, I've got this well. My question was about those few questions that are not addressed in the book, and you replied it so clearly. But Anglika said something else. If those questions are not dealt with somewhere in the book, I can find them dealt with in somewhere else also in this book, That 's what I've got from Anglika.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I think you may be confused because it says "few" and you're reading it as though it said "a few."

There are a few things we need to talk about -- that means there are a few things, with the empahsis on their existance.

There are few things we need to talk about -- that means there are almost none, with the emphasis on how small the number is.

The author is saying that just about every topic is in there - almost none are omitted.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

No I've got this meaning well, Despite I never knew this information about few, with and without a, before. Thanks a lot.