• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

the sandbox of human knowledge

Pls help me explain the following paragraph, especially the bold sentence.

By linking research and imagination, sometimes I can think myself into the heads of the people who made the book. I can figure out who they were, or how they worked. That's how I add my few grains to the sandbox of human knowledge.

Is that the way she increased her knowledge or the way she work to increase the knowledge for other humans? so confused!

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: the sandbox of human knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by beeja View Post
    Pls help me explain the following paragraph, especially the bold sentence.

By linking research and imagination, sometimes I can think myself into the heads of the people who made the book. I can figure out who they were, or how they worked. That's how I add my few grains to the sandbox of human knowledge.

Is that the way she increased her knowledge or the way she work to increase the knowledge for other humans? so confused!

Thank you.
    I have never heard of the expression of "sandbox" in a collocation with "knowledge". It seems extremely literal and allegoric to me. Fair enough, i can just assume, unless you provide me with more information about the context the article, that the sentence in bold is really conveing the fact that "by linking and imagination" with relation to a book she can and does contribute by her pieces of knowledge (grains) to the society.
    Thats what comes out to me...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Well, this woman is an expert rare book conservator whose technical skills are first class. Below is more text for more understanding...

A lot of what I do is technical; science and craftsmanship that anyone with decent intelligence and good fine-motor skills can be taught to do so. But there is something else, too. It has to do with an intuition about the past. By linking research and imagination, sometimes I can think myself into the heads of the people who made the book. I can figure out who they were, or how they worked. That's how I add my few grains to the sandbox of human knowledge. It's what I love best about what I do. And there were so many questions about this book. If I could answer just one of them...

Tks again,

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by jirikoo View Post
    I have never heard of the expression of "sandbox" in a collocation with "knowledge". It seems extremely literal and allegoric to me. Fair enough, i can just assume, unless you provide me with more information about the context the article, that the sentence in bold is really conveing the fact that "by linking and imagination" with relation to a book she can and does contribute by her pieces of knowledge (grains) to the society.
    Thats what comes out to me...
    Yes, you're right.
    But you probably mean "It seems extremely literary and allegoric to me".
    A literal sandbox is a sandbox. (So is a littoral sandbox, but that's another story).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Yes, you're right.
    But you probably mean "It seems extremely literary and allegoric to me".
    A literal sandbox is a sandbox. (So is a littoral sandbox, but that's another story).
    mea culpa, thanks, i was gonna write "literary":)