Results 1 to 7 of 7

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 7
    #1

    Wink "After you" vs "You go first"

    Could anyone kindly tell me what's the difference between the phrases "after you" and "you go first". What could be the appropriate contexts for respectively using these two phrases?

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,104
    #2

    Re: "After you" vs "You go first"

    Quote Originally Posted by weiteng View Post
    Could anyone kindly tell me what's the difference between the phrases "after you" and "you go first". What could be the appropriate contexts for respectively using these two phrases?
    I'd say there's no difference at all. They are equally polite and correct. I'd tend to say "after you".


    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 7
    #3

    Re: "After you" vs "You go first"

    Thanks for the reply, Raymott. That's helpful for me to challenge the saying among some English teachers, Mandarin-speaking background, that they consider "after you" is more polite that "you go first".

    Cheers!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 145
    #4

    Re: "After you" vs "You go first"

    Quote Originally Posted by weiteng View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Raymott. That's helpful for me to challenge the saying among some English teachers, Mandarin-speaking background, that they consider "after you" is more polite that "you go first".

    Cheers!
    Hi Weiteng

    Actually, in England, I would consider 'after you' to be more polite.
    I have a bit of a fear going down escalators. I would say 'after you' to a stranger, but 'you go first' to my husband or friend.
    Same would apply, apart from the fear factor, of course, when going through a door.
    Hope that helps, at the very least it may spark a discussion.
    Regards Stilo

    PS It may be a typo but you use 'than' rather than 'that' in the context above.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Jun 2006
    • Posts: 2,130
    #5

    Re: "After you" vs "You go first"

    That's helpful for me to challenge( the saying among) some English teachers(,) of Mandarin-speaking background(, that they) who consider "after you" (is) as being more polite that "you go first".
    I think there is a subtle difference.
    'You go first' sounds like an order.
    'After you' may mean the same thing, but is an indirect way of telling a person to go first.

    not a teacher

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 145
    #6

    Re: "After you" vs "You go first"

    Quote Originally Posted by tedtmc View Post
    I think there is a subtle difference.
    'You go first' sounds like an order.
    'After you' may mean the same thing, but is an indirect way of telling a person to go first.

    not a teacher
    I would agree with tedtmc 'You go first' is more of an order but also a phrase that would be used on friends,children and family.

  2. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,221
    #7

    Re: "After you" vs "You go first"

    I agree with those who state that "After you" is more polite -- to a very high degree, actually.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13-Jun-2008, 12:52
  2. "You bet" or "You betcha" in response to "Thanks"
    By englishstudent in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-Aug-2006, 16:03

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •