Bondo

Hello!

What could "Bondo" possibly mean as a derogatory term in the following context:
    - "Maybe you should get som help with that."
    -"Don't need any, Bondo."

COuld it be a reference to James Bond? The person that is referred to as Bondo is a big, handsome man.

Thanks!

Re: Bondo

Welcome to the forums.

THere is really not enough context to say. It is possible.

If you can tell us more about the background, it would help.

It's an American sitcom. Here's the context:

Ron: You're husband's putting up a satellite dish,huh?
    Tim:Yeah.This afternoon.
    RON:Oh, yeah? Hope you have some help.
    TIM: (to himself) Don't need help, Bondo.
    (to Ron) No, Iím gonna do it all by myself.

Tim doesn't like Ron, Tim's wife Jill's teacher, because hue thinks Ron is hitting on Jill. Apart from being a handsome man, Ron is also an obnoxiuos know-it-all.

I don't know if any of this helps. Or maybe it's obvious, but it isn't to me. I just don't get what's so funny about this.

I also have a problem with another scene featuring the two men.
    Ron: That's why you look familiar. You got that little tool show on the cable.
    TIM:Oh, you know we donít look at it as little because we pick up a lot of cities. We just got Alpena.
    RON: Oh, yeah? Really? Both sets? Sorry. Just kidding you there, pal.
    TIM: Pretty funny, Rondall.

What does Ron mean with "Both sets"? The entire town? Alpena is a small town in Michigan, USA.

Thanks for your help

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

In the second one, "two sets" refers to "two television sets." In other words, he's suggesting only two people live in that town to watch his TV program.

Bondo is also a brand of glue. Did anything else happen in the segment having to do with that?

Thank you. I never thought of television sets. That makes sense.
    As for "Bondo", I doubt that is has anything to do with the Bondo putty, because it's never mentioned, and at least to me it seems unlikely that someone would use that word as an invective. Or I am wrong?
    I just saw the episode once again , (I' am translating it) and in another (subsequent) segment Tim says to Ron "No problemo, Rondanello", so I hope Bondo is just another bad hispanicism. What do you think?

I think Barb's suggestion that it refers to the car-repair material is probably right. It is implying that the person is a smoothy covering up something undesirable.

It's the kind of cultural reference that is hard for outsiders to pick up.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Here is the script for that particular episode. Tim is actually saying "Rondall" (the other character's full name), not "Bondo." Although he does snort "Rondall" in a sarcastic manner, to let us know that he thinks it is a ridiculous and pretentious name. And Alpena is a fairly small, rural town in Michigan, which is why Rondall made that remark - "all two (television) sets?" when Tim bragged that his show was being broadcast there.