Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question What's the difference between "he has been ill" and "he's been ill".

I don't know what happend to my 1st post...
    Can you tell me the difference. Please and thank you!

Re: What's the difference between "he has been ill" and "he's been ill".

"he has been ill" and "he's been ill".

he's is simply the contraction of he has

is not : isn't

Americans (I don't know about Canadians) don't seem to use the contracted forms of he'd and he's in their speech.

Exclamation Re: What's the difference between "he has been ill" and "he's been ill".

He has = He's?
    He had or would = He'd
    Am I correct?

Yes.
    So..............how do we know which it is when the person is speaking or writing?

Wink Re: What's the difference between "he has been ill" and "he's been ill".

Who knows, eh! We must use our common sense!

Contractions wouldn't be so popular if understanding their meaning relied on that rare attribute, common sense.

Note:
    to go : go/goes, went, gone
    He has gone, he had gone : He'd gone when I go there etc (the past participle follows)
    compare
    He would go :He'd go (the infinitive, 'to go', but without the 'to' - not to mention a conditional clause)
    Last edited by David L.; 17-Jul-2008 at 17:18.

Talking Re: What's the difference between "he has been ill" and "he's been ill".

Oh, ok! Thanks! Nicely explained!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    Americans (I don't know about Canadians) don't seem to use the contracted forms of he'd and he's in their speech.
    David, am I reading this correctly? You're saying we do NOT use it in speech? I'd say the opposite is true: We rarely used the full forms in speech.

I watch reality shows like Judge Judy, and perhaps these give me the wrong impression, but I don't think I've ever heard a he'd.
    But boy, do I hear 'had had' when the simple past was needed; and countless, 'I had went' - not even, 'I'd went' !

I watch reality shows like Judge Judy, and perhaps these give me the wrong impression, but I don't think I've ever heard a he'd.
    But boy, do I hear 'had had' when the simple past was needed - not even He'd had; and countless, 'I had went' - not even 'I'd went' !

I'm happy (and relieved) to stand corrected on this. I was despairing of the American education system. Perhaps the 'grammar' I hear is not as pandemic as I was fearing.

(I don't think one can judge by scripted TV shows and movies, since scriptwriters are responsible for what comes out of the actors' mouths; and bad grammar and whatever is taken by the viewer as part of the patios of the person's milieu/lifestyle.)
    Last edited by David L.; 17-Jul-2008 at 20:51.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast