• Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

need a little help

i would like to know when to use ' in ' or ' on ' for example what's on your brain? or whats in your mind?? if on why and if in why? also he's on the street or he's in the street?? how to diffrenciate between on, in , at, in. for instance if i say '' i am at the gym ' should i use at or in??? any help would be appreciated.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: need a little help

We say "on your mind" to refer to what you are thinking about, and "in your brain" to refer to what you know, what you have learned. Why: it's common usage.

Regarding in or on the street, there is a difference in American and British usage. A Brit will say he lives in Maple Street to mean the same as what a Yankee means with he lives on Maple Street. We Americans use "in the street" as standing or lying in the roadway, perhaps because raised curbing on each side of many streets or roads creates a sense of containment. I don't know if the British use "in the street" the same way in this case.

There is overlapping meaning between "at the gym" and "in the gym." To say "in the gym" specifies actually inside the gym facility itself, while "at the gym" could also mean being around the premises -- say, just outside the door or in the parking lot or, perhaps but not necessarily always different, in the locker room after having finished a gym session. This overlap in which "at" comprises "in" plus some surroundings applies to almost any location: at the post office vs. in the post office, at the convention center vs. in the convention center. Note, however, that "at the hospital" conveys a different connotation from "in the hospital" (or, in British usage, "in hospital"). To be in the hospital indicates being a patient; at usually would not.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

appreciate your help campbell, i also would like to find out when to use ' The and when to use 'A' in a sentence, and also whats a difference between i am in bed and ' i am on bed ' or i am on sofa or i am in sofa???? anyhelp would be appreciated.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Have you read the posts in the Frequently Asked Questions section?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Have you read the posts in the Frequently Asked Questions section?

can you kindly please link me the thread??

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texasmk4 View Post
    appreciate your help campbell, i also would like to find out when to use ' The and when to use 'A' in a sentence, and also whats a difference between i am in bed and ' i am on bed ' or i am on sofa or i am in sofa???? anyhelp would be appreciated.

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...2-bed-bed.html