• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Arrow might have been

In the name of the the Merciful Allah,
    Hi, in the preface of his book, the writer shows the difference between this book and another one of his on the same subject, published earlier, by saying: The present handbook, in addition to being more up-to-date, is considerably more comprehensive. Its 28 chapters (compared with 15 in the 1982 handbook) cover additional topics that, since the 1980s, have blossomed into important areas of study, such as ......., and... Other topics that might have been included in the earlier handbook but were not are also included, such as ........,and... I ask about the last two lines, which I don't understand at all. I know that might signifies possibility, but this doesn't fit the context because either the topics are included or not.

Re: might have been

Other topics that might have been included in the earlier handbook, but were not, are also included,

They could have been included in the earlier book, but the author chose not to include them at that time.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Aha, so they were supposed to be there, but the author chose not. Thanks Anglika

Not quite. Supposed implies that they were to be included but were missed out.

The author is indicating that he decided not to include them for his own reasons.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt