• Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

• Post Thanks / Like

Also and Too (Please Help!)

Hi,

Are the also and too indicated in blue needed in the text below?

I had always felt a gaping hole in my life, but now that hole was going to be filled. I was very excited when my mom had told me I was going to have a sister. Within the very next few days I was going to have someone to keep me company. On Sunday morning, July 5, 2008, my mom was taken to hospital. I also/- went with her. We first took a number coupon from the reception office and waited in the lobby until the number was called out. My mom went inside a room. I too/- wanted to go in, but was told to remain outside. So my dad and I stayed outside the room.

Soon my cousin Spencer and his mother also/- arrived. Since there were as such no joy rides there, Spencer and I invented an unusual ride. We started playing in the elevator, going up and down. But unfortunately, soon the elevator officer came and saw us playing. He took us to my dad and complained to him. My dad scolded us both and told us to sit quietly. After a little while, a lady doctor came out of the room my mom went in. With a big smile, she said, "Congratulations, your wife has had baby girl!"

I went berserk with happiness. We all went inside, and for the first time I saw my little angel sleeping in a crib. She looked so very sweet. My mom named her Julie. My dad instantly went outside to buy some juices and food items for my mom. My dad drove me and my granny home, and he himself stayed in the hospital all night. The following day my mom and my sweet little angel came home. I am very grateful to God that he gave me such a beautiful fairy-like sister and had her come to this world in my vacation so that I can play with her without having the worry about going to school next day. My vacation has been going very well with her. All day I have fun and play with her. It's truly amazing to have a sister, chat with her (although she cannot understand), and take care of her.
    Last edited by Mister Nutty; 21-Jul-2008 at 09:58.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Also and Too (Please Help!)

[1] I also went with her. <omit it>

=> You and who else? The use of also there implies that at least three of you went to the hospital, you, your mom, and someone else.
    => You could keep also, e.g., I also went to the hospital, but that could imply that both you and your mom were sick.
    [2] I too wanted to go in. <omit it>
    => It implies a desire, yes, but your mom's. That is, you wanted to go into the room because your mom "wanted to". Did she want to or was it that she had to?

[3] Soon my cousin Spencer and his mother also arrived. <omit it>
    => Who arrived/showed up before them to see how your mom was doing?

Hope that helps.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Also and Too (Please Help!)

Thanks for your response, Soup.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    [1] I also went with her. <omit it>

=> You and who else? The use of also there implies that at least three of you went to the hospital, you, your mom, and someone else.

Yes, and not just three, four people went to the hospital; my mom, my dad, my granny and I. Do you think I should still omit the also here?