Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

    • Join Date: Jul 2008
    • Posts: 62
    #1

    a lot of work/works

    Hi,

    Do we say: "I have a lot of work/works"?

    Thanks in advance

  1. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    #2

    Re: a lot of work/works

    I say, "I have a lot of work (to do)."

  2. IvanV's Avatar

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 576
    #3

    Re: a lot of work/works

    I have a lot of work.
    The noun work is an uncountable noun.


    • Join Date: Jul 2008
    • Posts: 62
    #4

    Re: a lot of work/works

    Thank you Soup.


    • Join Date: Jul 2008
    • Posts: 62
    #5

    Re: a lot of work/works

    Thanks Soup and IvanV

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,629
    #6

    Re: a lot of work/works

    Quote Originally Posted by IvanV View Post
    I have a lot of work.
    The noun work is an uncountable noun.
    Works exists as another name for factory, for example "He has a job at the steel works starting on Monday."

  4. IvanV's Avatar

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 576
    #7

    Re: a lot of work/works

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Works exists as another name for factory, for example "He has a job at the steel works starting on Monday."
    And some more meanings too. But, not here.

  5. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    #8

    Re: a lot of work/works

    Quote Originally Posted by IvanV View Post
    And some more meanings too. But, not here.
    Homework (USA)
    Homeworks (UK)

    What about Australian English? What do they call it, homework or homeworks, and is this acceptable, I have a lot of homeworks?

  6. IvanV's Avatar

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 576
    #9

    Re: a lot of work/works

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    Homework (USA)
    Homeworks (UK)

    What about Australian English? What do they call it, homework or homeworks, and is this acceptable, I have a lot of homeworks?
    Hm. Nice one.
    But I don't know about AusE. I think it's homeworks.

    But, it's:
    I've got lots of homeworks (to do).

  7. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    #10

    Re: a lot of work/works

    Quote Originally Posted by IvanV View Post
    Hm. Nice one.
    But I don't know about AusE. I think it's homeworks.

    But, it's:
    I've got lots of homeworks (to do).
    Ta. Would using "have" instead of "got" make UK homeworks sound like an illness?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •