More questions

1) partial tuition scholarships of 2 or 3 years duration are available to students within New Zealand and internationally.
    Is internationally correct? Or internaltional? Why?
    2)
    Philosophy, however, enlightened, however profound, gives no command over the passions, no influential motives, no vivifying principles.
    Question: Which selection best describes the word" vivifying" as used above?
    A) Cohesive
    b) life giving
    c) universal

Here is the explanation: This is a rather difficult vocabulary to figure out based on context clues although some are given in the logical sequencing of the passage. Note that the author is listing virutes that are not accompanied by knowledge or philosophy so we know that the adjective describing princpiples must be one that attends virtue. Of the choices, universal and life giving are the only two that rise to that level. Recognizing the detail with which the author is presenting the differences between knowledge and virtue, the term universal would seem more out of sing than life giving so choice B would be the better choice.
    But, I wonder, what about cohesive.? It is also an adj that attends virtue, too?
    3)
    It is well to be a gentleman, it is well to have a cultivated intellect, a delicate taste, a candid, dispassionate mind, no noble bearing in the conduct of life- these are the connatural qualities of a large knowledge.
    Which selection best describe the word" connatural" as used above?
    a) presumed
    b) expected
    c) warranted
    d) cognate
    e) herarled
    Explanation: While all choices effectively make sense given the author is talking about the natural extension of a large knowledge, only choice D, cognate, follows the style of writing used by the author. By presenting the benefits of a large knowledge as such a given, it can best be understood that a word meaning inborn or innate as it relates to the acquision thereof would be used.
    I wonder, does innate really mean cognate? Are they synonyms? I know they are all synonyms of connatural, but in different meanings, so they could not be each other's synonym?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: More questions

I'll try one question.

Try:
    Partial tuition scholarships of two or three years' duration are available to students within New Zealand and overseas.

or

Partial tuition scholarships of two or three years' duration are available to students within New Zealand and international students.

So is my original version correct?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by belly_ttt View Post
    1) partial tuition scholarships of 2 or 3 years duration are available to students within New Zealand and internationally.

"within New Zealand" is an adverbial phrase modifying "are available", so you'd use the adverb internationally to match it.

2)
    Philosophy, however, enlightened, however profound, gives no command over the passions, no influential motives, no vivifying principles.
    Question: Which selection best describes the word" vivifying" as used above?
    A) Cohesive
    b) life giving
    c) universal
    The explanation seems quite silly to me. The reason b) life-giving is correct is that that is what "vivifying" means.

But, I wonder, what about cohesive.? It is also an adj that attends virtue, too?
    It might, but that's a philosophical point. "vivifying doesn't mean "cohesive".

I wonder, does innate really mean cognate? Are they synonyms?
    That's not the question you should be asking, since it's not the question you've been asked. Does "connatural" mean "cognate"? A quick check of the dictionary again will reveal that they mean similar things. That's what makes that answer right, not the very questionable "explanation".

I know they are all synonyms of connatural, but in different meanings, so they could not be each other's synonym?
    None of the following are synonyms of "connatural": presumed, expected, warranted, herarled. (I'm not sure that herarled is a word. Maybe you mean something else).
    I think you need to answer the questions on their merits, and not look to the "explanations" for help with the right choice.

hI rAYMOTT,
    Question 1 is fine, but 2 and 3, they are SAT questions. So we have to deduce their meaning from the context because their regular meanings will not match the ones SAT wants to convey.
    #2), if refer to the explanation, is a real mess for me
    #3) I did not mean all the words above are synonyms of connatural, I was comparing innate and cognate. These two have differences in meaning

But thanks all the same if you could provide any further explanation

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by belly_ttt View Post
    hI rAYMOTT,
    Question 1 is fine, but 2 and 3, they are SAT questions. So we have to deduce their meaning from the context because their regular meanings will not match the ones SAT wants to convey.
    #3) I did not mean all the words above are synonyms of connatural, I was comparing innate and cognate. These two have differences in meaning

But thanks all the same if you could provide any further explanation
    Of course; that is because the explanation is a real mess. Are you given an explanation on the SAT test? If not, you are going to have to answer the question on its own terms. It seems to me that the questions are fairly straighforward if you know the meanings; but you are being led astray and being confused by the explanations (which would happen to me as well).
    I can't help you understand the "explanations" because I disgree that they are indeed explanations for the answers.
    I hope all the explanations you are given are not as confusing!
    The real explanation for 2. is that "life-giving" is the only choice that means "vivifying".