• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • China

Please correct my grammar

The missing quantity was for model xxxx. We will waive to charge you back this time / not charge you for this time, but please ensure your people are packing the goods completed without shortage / lack in the future. We will charge you in the future if such problem happening again. Please note.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Please correct my grammar

Perhaps:
    We will waive the charge back this time, but please make sure your people pack the goods without shortages in the future. We will charge you if such problems happen again.

2. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina

A learner

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe2008 View Post
    The missing quantity was for model xxxx. We will waive to charge you back this time / not charge you for this time, but please ensure your people are packing the goods completed without shortage / lack in the future. We will charge you in the future if such problem happening again. Please note.
    Dear Sir

We found some lack in quantity with the model xxxx.
    We are going to waive you back this time but please ensure your people will be packing the goods without any of such shortage. Please note that we are going to charge you if such problem happens again.

Regards

Zoe yyyyy

P.S. Is waive you back possible? (instead of waive the charge back)
    Last edited by e2e4; 21-Jul-2008 at 18:50.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

The missing quantity was for model xxxx.

We will waive the backcharge on this occasion, but please ensure your people pack the fulll quantity, without shortages, in the future.

Please note that we reserve the right to backcharge you in future, should the problem recur.
    Hope this helps
    Best regards
    NT

PS Note that the correct term is backcharge rather than charge back:

backcharge definition - Dictionary - MSN Encarta
    noun (plural back·charg·es)
    Definition: cost charged for previous transaction: an amount of money charged to a person or a firm in order to make adjustments for a previous transaction
    Last edited by Neillythere; 21-Jul-2008 at 19:29.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

charge back - AE
    back-charge - BE

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Hi Ron

You live and learn something new every day.

I've worked with American companies for over 40 years now and have never heard the term "charge back" used.

I originally put a hyphen in back-charge, to avoid potential spell-check problems, having rechecked it in Ask Oxford, with no response (with or without the hyphen). Wikipedia gave a similar response, but I eventually picked it up on MSN Encarta, which I belived to be an American English site!

Regards
    NT

PS I've also found back charges on the (American?) Free Dictioary, but as 2 words:
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Back+charges
    Back charges:
    charges brought forward after an account has been made up.

See also New Jersey Law Blog:
    http://www.njlawblog.com/2005/12/art...s-backcharges/
    Last edited by Neillythere; 21-Jul-2008 at 20:08. Reason: new info

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Neillythere View Post
    Hi Ron

You live and learn something new every day.

I've worked with American companies for over 40 years now and have never heard the term "charge back" used.
    Interesting. Actually, it's pretty common, especially in the financial world.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • China

H Neillythere,

This is my first time to heard 'back-charge', thank you for your sharing with us.

Regards
    Zoe

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Hi Zoe/Ron

I've had a chance to check the Wikipedia definition of "chargeback" (1 word) and it appears to have a different meaning from "backcharge".

"Chargeback" appears to represent a reversal of charges for goods or services that you have already paid for that were either not provided or not correctly provided. It works on the principle that you shouldn't have to pay for something that you haven't properly received.

A "Backcharge" is something different. In manufacturing/construction/procurement terms, if a supplier/contractor doesn't do what he is required to do properly, he has to undo/redo it the way it should have been done in the 1st place. This part of the process doesn't involve any financial implications between the 2 parties concerned.

A "backcharge" kicks in if the Client incurs additional other costs as a direct result of the problem (such as other contractors on the "payroll" standing around unproductively, waiting for it to be fixed). Clients can normally also include their own overheads in the money backcharged, but unless they are prepared to identify the split between overheads & profit (profit can't normally be backcharged) they may have to forgo the overhead recovery. See my earlier references for details. Standard contract Terms & Conditions should allow the Client to deduct backcharges from amounts otherwise payable, without the need for litigation. If the Supplier wished to challenge the backcharge, he would have to take his Client to court, which he would probably not really want to do.

In Zoe's case, she may, for example, have been able to backcharge any additional freight costs incurred plus the incremental administrative costs of sorting the problem (eg additional overtime worked). If the incremental admin costs are small, chances are they wouldn't be challenged as to whether they include profit, as the challenge could cost more than the sums involved.

Putting the supplier on notice, that waiving their right on this occasion doesn't mean they will always do so, smoothes over the current problem and preserves the threat of potentially backcharging in the future.

Hope this helps.

I don't believe it's really AE vs BE (my x-references to backcharges were all from US sources), but probably more of a difference between finance terms and manufacturing/construction/procurement terms.

Regards
    NT

PS Although not a teacher nor a laywer, I've been directly involved in the management of major international contracts (on both sides of the fence) for some 30+ years now.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

H Neillythere,

This is my first time to heard 'back-charge', thank you for your sharing with us.

Regards
    Zoe
    This is the first time you have encountered the term "backcharge"? It's a good thing Neillythere is here because I think that is exactly the word you need.