Results 1 to 3 of 3

    • Join Date: Sep 2006
    • Posts: 212

    flavoursome or flavour some

    Hi, teachers, I saw the word, flavoursome, in the following sentence, "If you contrast the taste of these two dishes, you will find one is more flavoursome than the other."
    Here, I can not understand the usage of the lighted word , because I can not find the word in my dictionary, I just can find 'flavour' in it. 'Flavour' is a noun and not an adjective, but in this sentence it is apparently used as an ajective, so I think it might be 'flavour some'.
    Am I right? If I am right, how to understand "flavour some" in this sentence?
    Thanks and regards!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 4,146

    Re: flavoursome or flavour some

    "flavoursome" is correct and is an adjective. It is not a commomly used word, but it is in my dictionary. (Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary..flavorsome)

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Jun 2006
    • Posts: 2,130

    Re: flavoursome or flavour some

    Flavoursome (flavorsome AmE) means 'filled with flavour' or another word for 'tasty'. There is also flavourful.
    There are other words with the suffix 'some' eg. troublesome, cumbersome, tiresome, burdensome.

    not a teacher
    Last edited by tedtmc; 22-Jul-2008 at 07:43.

Similar Threads

  1. Taste or flavour?
    By Novella in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-Oct-2007, 14:38


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts