• Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

quadrae

Hello,

1) Do you know "quadrae"? The sentence is:

She slapped the meat onto the quadrae so hard that his slice broke, letting a trickle of juice dribble onto the table.

Actually I don't quite understand the above sentence. If the context is only that, so what is the slice here? slice of bread? but why having the juce dribbing on the table? juice from the meat?? raw meat?

2) Anyone know what "cales" are?

Most of the refugees who found places on the market's edges were attempting to sell worthless things; threadbare cales and surcoats or a few worn-out household goods.

3) At fifteen, she could have been married to some kindly young mand and out of reach of her monther's bitter tongue. But she lacked both fortune and a fair face. And from the observant Torah families, who did not set such store in those things, she was excluded by the taint of her brother's conduct.

Does it mean she was excluded from the observant Torah families (or the serious Jewish families) because her brother was bad guy?

4) She pursed her lips. She tucked a curl of hair into her linen headdress. She would rather suck a gull than back down in an argument, but this information brought with it the ease of removing an ill-fitting boot. She had been troubled about this wedding gift. She worried that a plain gift from her husband's own hand would seem a paltry gift, but these pictures, she had to admit, had quality.

Previously she argued with her husband that he spent lot of money on the pictures but his husband said the pictures would be bound into a book and be sent as a gift of substance (wedding gift). So "she'd rather suck a gull than back down in an arguement" here = she calmed herself down because she's happy to know that she need not to trouble finding the gift. Did I understand it correctly??

Thank you!

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: quadrae

My best guesses:

1a) The base of a column. Click http://dict.sorabji.com/dictionary/Quadrae.html. (There's a picture.)

1b) Meat is cut into slices; i.e., a slice of meat; she slapped the meat onto the qaudrae so hard (perhaps to tenderize it?) that it split; i.e., broke).

2) Socks (Old English caeles)

3) ... the observant Torah families ...
    <I'm not sure I understood your question>

4) She would rather suck a gull (whatever that means; play the fool?) than back down in an argument. In other words, she doesn't like to back down in an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by beeja View Post
    Hello,

1) Do you know "quadrae"? The sentence is:

She slapped the meat onto the quadrae so hard that his slice broke, letting a trickle of juice dribble onto the table.

Actually I don't quite understand the above sentence. If the context is only that, so what is the slice here? slice of bread? but why having the juce dribbing on the table? juice from the meat?? raw meat? Quadrae is the plural of the latin word "quadra", used to describe anything that is square - in this case a table. Without more context, it seems the slice is a slice of meat that has split, allowing the juice inside it to trickle out.

2) Anyone know what "cales" are? I think it may be a misprint of "capes"

Most of the refugees who found places on the market's edges were attempting to sell worthless things; threadbare cales and surcoats or a few worn-out household goods.

3) At fifteen, she could have been married to some kindly young mand and out of reach of her monther's bitter tongue. But she lacked both fortune and a fair face. And from the observant Torah families, who did not set such store in those things, she was excluded by the taint of her brother's conduct.

Does it mean she was excluded from the observant Torah families (or the serious Jewish families) because her brother was bad guy? Yes

4) She pursed her lips. She tucked a curl of hair into her linen headdress. She would rather suck a gull than back down in an argument, but this information brought with it the ease of removing an ill-fitting boot. She had been troubled about this wedding gift. She worried that a plain gift from her husband's own hand would seem a paltry gift, but these pictures, she had to admit, had quality.

Previously she argued with her husband that he spent lot of money on the pictures but his husband said the pictures would be bound into a book and be sent as a gift of substance (wedding gift). So "she'd rather suck a gull than back down in an argument" here = she calmed herself down because she's happy to know that she need not to trouble finding the gift. Did I understand it correctly?? Yes - though this part of the sentence implies that she would rather do anything than lose an argument. It is the second part of the sentence that tells you she has accepted the argument.

Thank you!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

She would rather suck a gull

appear to be a fool or appear stupid

Beeja, hi!

As for quadrae: I am currently translating this novel (People of the Book) into Hungarian, and it was today that I came across the very same problem. I've done a little research and lucky-lucky: Quadrae (the plural of quadra), square-shaped and flat, bread-like things, were, in the Middle Ages, used instead of plates, so when you took food with a ladle from the pot, you'd put it on your quadra, and not on a plate. I assume that quadrae were then eaten during the meal, along with the food, which was served onto it.

So David's quadra broke and let the gravy of the meat dribble onto the table.

Good luck with reading (or translating?) it further.

Ah, yes, and "Miriam would rather suck a gall (and not *gull ) than..." Gall, being gall-bladder, in this case, meaning that she'd rather swallow down bitter stuff than admit being defeated in an argument.

Best

That makes sense!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by Madárka View Post
    Beeja, hi!

As for quadrae: I am currently translating this novel (People of the Book) into Hungarian, and it was today that I came across the very same problem. I've done a little research and lucky-lucky: Quadrae (the plural of quadra), square-shaped and flat, bread-like things, were, in the Middle Ages, used instead of plates, so when you took food with a ladle from the pot, you'd put it on your quadra, and not on a plate. I assume that quadrae were then eaten during the meal, along with the food, which was served onto it.

So David's quadra broke and let the gravy of the meat dribble onto the table.

Good luck with reading (or translating?) it further.

Wow! very useful info. I'm now translating this book into Thai. It's very interesting book but there're many things unclear to me, so, as you see, I posted many questons regarding this book, ha ha ha.

When you explained this, I thought of Nan, the Indian crispy flat bread to eat with Indian curry, it might look the same. I guess. Anyway, thank you so much for your information. I might have more questions to ask so, pls help me!!!

I'll most certainly help, whenever I can, with pleasure . Presently I'm working on the Saltwater chapter.

Good luck!