Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 722
    #1

    I'm looking for....

    1) I'm looking for a noun that desbribe this process:
    You use too much dose of a kind of drug that the viruses in your body get used to it.

    2) I'm looking for a verb here:
    You are from another country, if you want to settle down in America, your relatives must____ so that you are eligible to come over there for immigration.

    3) What is the difference between / Ou/ and /O/? How different when people pronounce Rico with an /o/ and an /O/ ?

    4) A man who was run over by a car has his entrails a mess. Is there any adj replace for "a mess" in this sentence? ( they are badly run over and people can't realize their shape anymore because they have been twisted so much)

    Thanks in advance

  1. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    #2

    Re: I'm looking for....

    1) immune

    2)

    3) /ou/ as in sow (a female pig), cow, and how; /o/ as in so. Ric[o].

    4) unrecognizable


    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 722
    #3

    Re: I'm looking for....

    Hi
    2) I mean, the relatives of yours in the US must do paperwork in order to get you in the US for settle down
    4) Your word is not the word I'm looking for. I mean, you feel gross when you see the scence because it makes you want to vomit right away. The entrails of the body is, thus,____


    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 722
    #4

    Re: I'm looking for....

    And with the cow, sow, I believe the sound is /au/

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #5

    Re: I'm looking for....

    Quote Originally Posted by belly_ttt View Post
    1) I'm looking for a noun that desbribe this process:
    You use too much dose of a kind of drug that the viruses in your body get used to it.

    2) I'm looking for a verb here:
    You are from another country, if you want to settle down in America, your relatives must____ so that you are eligible to come over there for immigration.

    3) What is the difference between / Ou/ and /O/? How different when people pronounce Rico with an /o/ and an /O/ ?

    4) A man who was run over by a car has his entrails a mess. Is there any adj replace for "a mess" in this sentence? ( they are badly run over and people can't realize their shape anymore because they have been twisted so much)

    Thanks in advance
    1. Microorganisms become tolerant to drugs, or they adapt or habituate to them. Viruses becoming immune to drugs is heard, but that's only in the sense that one would say "I've become immune to her insults".
    2. apply ?
    3./oʊ/ as in bone, go, toe, mow, throw. /o/ is an Italian o generally not used in English. For a short o as in "dog", /dɒg/(BrE) /dɑg/ (AmE).
    That's in IPA. What system are you using which has an o and and an O?
    4. This could be someone's attempt at a construction similar to awry, asunder. But it's wrong.


    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 722
    #6

    Re: I'm looking for....

    I really don't know at the #4, but is there any real difference between O and o? By the way, I can't see your IPA symbol all it appears is just a square

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Jun 2006
    • Posts: 2,130
    #7

    Re: I'm looking for....

    1) develop resistance to the drug

    2) sponsor

    4) gory/gruesome

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #8

    Re: I'm looking for....

    Quote Originally Posted by belly_ttt View Post
    I really don't know at the #4, but is there any real difference between O and o? By the way, I can't see your IPA symbol all it appears is just a square
    Really, sorry about that. I'll use the phonetic typewriter.
    /oʊ/ is what you want for bone, toe, etc.
    "dog" is /dɒg/ in BrE and /dɑ:g/ in AmE.

    In English O is a capital o. There is no difference in pronunciation. But I thought you were using some pronunciation system (like IPA, but not IPA) in which O and o could have different meanings.

    tedtmc, yes "resistance" is also a good word.

  4. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    #9

    Re: I'm looking for....

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    What system are you using which has an o and and an O?
    In http://<i>Pronouncing English: A Str...5/15-2199.html(Georgetown University Press. 2004), the authors Richard V. Teschner and Stanley M. Whitley
    mention the diphthongal quality of /O/ (''turned c'' as in saw) in dialects such as New York City English.

  5. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    #10

    Re: I'm looking for....

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    What system are you using which has an o and and an O?

    In Pronouncing English: A Stress-Based Approach (Georgetown University Press: 2004), the authors
    the authors Richard Teschner and Stanley Whitley mention the diphthongal quality of /O/ (''turned c'' as in saw) in dialects such as New York City English ...

    LINGUIST List 15.2199: Phonetics/Applied Ling: Teschner & Whitley

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •