• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

two questions

I have two questions
    1. I would like to know if a beggar was really blind in the next passage.
    2. I would like to know the meaning of "this beggar was OK" in the next passage.

Sammy always complained when his wife Mavis gave money to the countless blind beggars in the neighborhood. He kept telling her that they were liars and cheats and only pretended to be blind. Her actions upset him so much he started screaming at her every time she gave money to a beggar, especially a blind one. She, on the other hand, seemed to enjoy seeing him mad and would give money to any beggar who stretched out his hand, especially a blind one. One day, when she expected him to scream at her once more, he was silent. Disappointed, she asked him why he said nothing. Sammy said this beggar was OK. Mavis wanted to know what he meant. Sammy repeated that this beggar was OK, he was really blind. Mavis asked him how he knew. He insisted that he just knew. Mavis insisted that he explain. Sammy said, "The man is blind. You heard what he said! Mavis said: "He said thanks." Sammy said: "He said 'Thank you, beautiful.'"

Re: two questions

:)

He said "thank you beautiful" - so the beggar wasn't blind, he must have seen the woman.
    But Sammy said, he(the beggar) was OK and he was blind, because he was wrong saying Mavis was beautiful.

Re: two questions

I would like to know if a beggar was really blind in the next passage.
    Perhaps; but this passage is a joke, and the question as to whether he was legally blind is not the issue.

2. I would like to know the meaning of "this beggar was OK" in the next passage.
    OK = genuine i.e. this beggar really was blind (in Sammy's judgement).

The joke is, the beggar said "Thank you, beautiful." Sammy takes that as proof that the beggar must be blind (and so cannot see his wife). This implies that, if the beggar could see, he wouldn't have called his wife beautiful!.
    The joke is, we realize the husband regards his wife as ugly! Only someone blind would call her 'beautiful'.
    Last edited by David L.; 25-Jul-2008 at 02:48.