1. jiaruchan

I am asking a question

Chinese nurse pulled to safety after 96 hours trapped in collapsed building - International Herald Tribune

The above link has a sentence:A Chinese state news agency says rescuers have pulled a nurse to safety after being trapped for 96 hours in the debris of a clinic after this week's massive earthquake.

I doubt the part 'after being trapped for 96 hours' is grammatically sound because the subject of the clause is 'rescuers'. Am I right or the sentence written by the AP reporter is good?

Re: I am asking a question

A Chinese state news agency says rescuers have pulled a nurse to safety after being trapped for 96 hours in the debris of a clinic after this week's massive earthquake.
    The nurse has been trapped for 96 hours. Rescuers rescued her from the debris.
    It's perfectly good English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by IvanV View Post
    A Chinese state news agency says rescuers have pulled a nurse to safety after being trapped for 96 hours in the debris of a clinic after this week's massive earthquake.
    The nurse has been trapped for 96 hours. Rescuers rescued her from the debris.
    It's perfectly good English.

Well, I made up a sentence:The rescuers have managed to save more people out of rubbles after being provided with a heavy-duty crane sent in by a NGO group.

Is that good? 'being provided with..' is for rescuers this time.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Actually, you're right.

If you had no knowledge of how the world worked, grammatically speaking, you'd associate the "after being trapped" with the rescuers, not the woman rescued.

A Chinese state news agency says rescuers have pulled a nurse to safety. She had been trapped for 96 hours in the debris of a clinic after this week's massive earthquake. -- That would be better.

Or
    A Chinese state news agency says rescuers have pulled to safety a who had been trapped for 96 hours in the debris of a clinic after this week's massive earthquake.

Because you're entirely right:
    Rescuers pulled the unconscious miners to safety after tunneling 480 feet through the night to reach them. -- Clearly, the rescuers tunneled, not the miners.

And it's the same construction.

Sometimes we just need to rely on our real-world knowledge.
    Last edited by Barb_D; 26-Jul-2008 at 17:33.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Thanks to Ivan and Barb. There was no doubt on my part to understand the actual meaning. But when I learned the language, I was taught 'after + ing form should be in logical agreement to the subject of a sentence or clause'. That's why on strict grammatical sense it is the rescuers who are trapped for 96 hours instead of the nurse, although common sense tells me that it should be the other way around.

It's just relying to pure logic, so is with many other things in English. Your doubt is, on the other had - justified.