Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 181
    #1

    Plunder into oblivion

    Hi all,
    Would anybody please confirm the meaning of «plunder into oblivion» in the following sentence?

    «Relevant parts of the manuscript were plundered into oblivion»

    I understood it as kind of «erased forever»

    Thanks a lot!

  1. IvanV's Avatar

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 576
    #2

    Re: Plunder into oblivion

    I could use some more context.
    But it's most likely to mean stolen, thus gone without a trace.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 181
    #3

    Re: Plunder into oblivion

    Thanks IvanV;

    The text tells the editing process of a book by the author, he is the one who «plunders», so i didn`t think in the real meaning of «plunder»

    Anyway, it means the author eliminated relevant parts of the manuscript, right?

    Rgds


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #4

    Re: Plunder into oblivion

    Without more context, I think it means that he analysed the contents to an intense degree.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Jun 2006
    • Posts: 2,130
    #5

    Re: Plunder into oblivion

    Relevant parts of the manuscript were plundered into oblivion
    To plunder is to rob. 'Robbed into oblivion' sounds strange.
    Why not just say:
    Relevant parts of the manuscript were deleted/removed/expunged by the author.

    not a teacher

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,092
    #6

    Re: Plunder into oblivion

    Quote Originally Posted by jiho View Post
    Thanks IvanV;

    The text tells the editing process of a book by the author, he is the one who «plunders», so i didn`t think in the real meaning of «plunder»

    Anyway, it means the author eliminated relevant parts of the manuscript, right?

    Rgds
    I doubt whether this refers to the author - much more likely an editor or sub-editor. An author can't plunder his own work. (Well, he could plunder his previous work to make a new one, but that's not the case here).
    Of course it could be phrased as "Relevant parts of the manuscript were deleted/removed/expunged" as tedtmc says, but that removes the whole emotional and literary tone from the sentence.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 181
    #7

    Re: Plunder into oblivion

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I doubt whether this refers to the author - much more likely an editor or sub-editor. An author can't plunder his own work. (Well, he could plunder his previous work to make a new one, but that's not the case here).
    I really think this was the case, the author is digging around in all his previous work and reissuing parts. There is no editor around, no publishing house in sight, just a man and his notes and his manuscript. Here is all the context I can provide:

    «To a large extent he reworked existing material. Details from his earliest notebooks reappeared almost unchanged in the book, and relevant parts of the old manuscript were plundered into oblivion.»

    Thank You so much to all of you.
    Last edited by jiho; 27-Jul-2008 at 10:39.

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,092
    #8

    Re: Plunder into oblivion

    Quote Originally Posted by jiho View Post
    I really think this was the case, the author is digging around in all his previous work and reissuing parts. There is no editor around, no publishing house in sight, just a man and his notes and his manuscript. Here is all the context I can provide:

    «To a large extent he reworked existing material. Details from his earliest notebooks reappeared almost unchaged in the book, and relevant parts of the old manuscript were plundered into oblivion.»

    Thank You so much to all of you.
    Ah, well, there you have it! It is someone else expressing disgust at what the author is doing to his own work.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 181
    #9

    Re: Plunder into oblivion

    Thank You, Raymott (and the rest)

Similar Threads

  1. drink yourself into oblivion
    By drsamehnour in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-Jun-2008, 19:17

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •