• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

help sb in doing sth

To help people in treating their problems may mean even to help them define their problem and select a strategy at stages where so far they are left alone by formalized services which require as a starting point a rather late stage of the process where the person in the need state consciously takes an action.

The sentence above comes from the British National Corpus. My question is:
    Is 'help sb in doing sth' a good structure to use? If so, what's the difference between 'help sb in doing sth' and 'help sb (to) do sth'?

Thank you in advance.

Re: help sb in doing sth

Quote Originally Posted by joham View Post
    To help people in treating their problems may mean even to help them define their problem and select a strategy at stages where so far they are left alone by formalized services which require as a starting point a rather late stage of the process where the person in the need state consciously takes an action.

Is 'help sb in doing sth' a good structure to use? If so, what's the difference between 'help sb in doing sth' and 'help sb (to) do sth'?

Thank you in advance.
    I don't know the difference.
    I think "help sb do sth" and "help sb with sth" are more common.
    Note they both end up with noun.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: help sb in doing sth

Quote Originally Posted by joham View Post

Thank you in advance.
    There's no significant difference. It's just an issue of style.