A confusing paragraph?

Dear Teachers and Friends,

I wrote the following paragraph, but I have not been confident that there is no mistake therein. Would you please tell if if it is acceptable or how I can make it shorter (using an adjective/adverb pronoun, for example)?

In paper [1], we obtained an original result which is more general than Theorem A. However, since paper [1] was unpublished, we must give the detailed proof of Theorem A here.

Thank you in advance.

LeUyenHoc.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Re: A confusing paragraph?

In paper [1], we obtained an original result which is more general than Theorem A.

Why 'original result'? How many results are there?
    Result and theorem are two different things. I don't think you can compare them. You compare results with results, not results with theorem. Or do you mean 'results expected from theorem A'?

However, since paper [1] was unpublished has not been published, we must giveshow the detailed proof of Theorem A here.
    not a teacher

Hi tedtmc,

Thank you very much for your idea.

In that paragraph, I meant "result" is a theorem which is more general that Theorem A. And theorem in [1] was actually original (discovered in the first time).

I am looking forward to hearing from you and other members.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by LeUyenHoc View Post
    Dear Teachers and Friends,

In paper [1], we obtained an original result which is more general than Theorem A. However, since paper [1] was unpublished, we must give the detailed proof of Theorem A here.
    There's nothing wrong with what you've written.
    However, if paper [1] was not published, why even refer to it? Why not just go ahead and give the detailed proof in this paper?

Hi Raymott,

Thank you for your idea.

Actually, paper [1] was done by my group (including me certainly). Therein, there was a result more general than Theorem A. If I went ahead and gave the detailed proof for Theorem A in the present paper (I am a single author), I would be afraid of my collaborators' complaint since I were not honest (correct grammar here?).

That was the reason why I had to cite paper [1], as a preprint, not submitted for publication anymore, in my present paper. By that way, I want to let my collaborators know that I always respect their cooperation.

Your explanation really helps. Thanks.
    Last edited by LeUyenHoc; 31-Jul-2008 at 04:46.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by LeUyenHoc View Post
    Hi Raymott,

Thank you for your idea.

Actually, paper [1] was done by my group (including me certainly). Therein, there was a result more general than Theorem A. If I went ahead and gave the detailed proof for Theorem A in the present paper (I am a single author), I would be afraid of my collaborators' complaint since I were not honest (correct grammar here?).

That was the reason why I had to cite paper [1], as a preprint, not submitted for publication anymore, in my present paper. By that way, I want to let my collaborators know that I always respect their cooperation.

Your explanation really helps. Thanks.
    Yes, you certainly need to attribute them in that case. I think your original sentence is OK then.

Thank you very much, Dr. Raymott.