• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

what is the phrase called as?

The snow covered the train tracks by more than a foot, (promting the transit authority to shut down serive and causing discontent among communters who were left stranded for hours.)

could you please tell me what the phrase in the parenthesis called as? what function does it do here?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: what is the phrase called as?

Quote Originally Posted by kiranlegend View Post
    The snow covered the train tracks by more than a foot, (promting the transit authority to shut down serive and causing discontent among communters who were left stranded for hours.)

could you please tell me what the phrase in the parenthesis called as? what function does it do here?
    The parentheses ("()") are unnecessary; they're an attempt to disguise the responsibility of the transit authority for the discontent. The snowfall promPted the transit authority to shut down service. The shutdown caused the discontent. The responsibility of the transport service is further disguised by the absence of a comma after "service".

The short answer to your question is 'It's a subordinate clause', the longer one is 'It's a subordinate clause that uses two present participles to disguise the fact that among all that flim-flam there is an inconvenient duality of subjects '

[ I have two lessons to prepare, so I'm being unusually contentious as I don't have the time to be more tactful. Official 'spin' annoys me. Sorry.]

b