I don't get this paragraph

"Colin Bates, with his essay for “This I Believe”. Bates says he works up to 90 hours a week, while still taking classes towards his college degree in English, Bates wrote this essay in a bargain with his father that they were both wrote essays, he wants his father to know the offer still stands. And if you want to write an essay, our offer is still good too, at NPR.org slash This I Believe, you can find out more for This I Believe"

Hi teachers, I don't understand the meaning(logic) in the highlighted sentences.

Does it mean Bates and his father had an commitment about writing essay, and Bate writes this essay to prove the commitment is still valid?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: I don't get this paragraph

Quote Originally Posted by redgiant View Post
    "Colin Bates, with his essay for “This I Believe”. Bates says he works up to 90 hours a week, while still taking classes towards his college degree in English, Bates wrote this essay in a bargain with his father that they were both wrote essays, he wants his father to know the offer still stands. And if you want to write an essay, our offer is still good too, at NPR.org slash This I Believe, you can find out more for This I Believe"

Hi teachers, I don't understand the meaning(logic) in the highlighted sentences.

Does it mean Bates and his father had an commitment about writing essay, and Bate writes this essay to prove the commitment is still valid?
    As you've noted, it's not logical. Bates made a bargain with his father that they would both write essays. Bates (junior) has written one, and we can assume that Bates (senior) hasn't. So there's really no offer standing. It's a gentle nudge to his father that maybe he (the father) should keep his side of the bargain.