Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 88
    #1

    Hi

    Hi

    I spent the whole day watching movies.
    I spent two days watching movies.

    are these noun clause are considered indirct object .

    THANKS IN ADVANCE

  1. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    #2

    Re: Hi

    Indirect objects are typically animate beings, and tell us to whom or for whom the action of the verb is done and who is receiving the direct object.

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #3

    Re: Hi

    Quote Originally Posted by fantastic View Post
    Hi

    I spent the whole day watching movies.
    I spent two days watching movies.

    are these noun clause are considered indirct object .

    THANKS IN ADVANCE
    No, these are direct objects. Compare "I spent ten cents"; "I spent all my wages"
    I don't think "spend" takes an indirect object.


    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 88
    #4

    Re: Hi

    Thanks guys

    but what is the noun phrase that comes after them?

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #5

    Re: Hi

    Quote Originally Posted by fantastic View Post
    Thanks guys

    but what is the noun phrase that comes after them?
    It's not a noun phrase. "watching movies" is a gerund clause.

  4. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    #6

    Re: Hi

    What is being spent? "the whole day" and "two days". These are the direct objects. You can test this by replacing them with a pronoun:
    I spent IT (at home) watching movies.

    I spent THEM (at home) watching movies.

  5. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #7

    Re: Hi

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    What is being spent? "the whole day" and "two days". These are the direct objects. You can test this by replacing them with a pronoun:
    I spent IT (at home) watching movies.

    I spent THEM (at home) watching movies.
    Yeah, I told him they were direct objects in #3.
    As far testing direct objects by replacing them with a pronoun, you can replace "the man" in "I gave the man an apple" with "I gave him an apple".
    That doesn't make it a direct object.

  6. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    #8

    Re: Hi

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Yeah, I told him they were direct objects in #3. As far testing direct objects by replacing them with a pronoun, you can replace "the man" in "I gave the man an apple" with "I gave him an apple". That doesn't make it a direct object.
    Cheer up.

  7. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #9

    Re: Hi

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    Cheer up.
    Why do you think I need cheering up?
    See, I'm four times as happy as you!
    That doesn't mean I can't correct an error

  8. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    #10

    Re: Hi

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Why do you think I need cheering up?
    See, I'm four times as happy as you!
    That doesn't mean I can't correct an error
    Be happy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •