Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. GOgogo
    Guest
    #1

    Unhappy conjunction / relative clauses / article

    What do you think about the sentence below?

    The cupboard was the one place where I didn't think of looking for the map.

    How should I correct this sentence?

    PLS teach me.

  2. tzfujimino's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 2,697
    #2

    Re: conjunction / relative clauses / article

    Quote Originally Posted by GOgogo View Post
    What do you think about the sentence below?

    The cupboard was the one place where I didn't think of looking for the map.

    How should I correct this sentence?

    PLS teach me.
    'The cupboard was a(the) place where I didn't think(hadn't thought) of looking for the map.'
    sounds better to me.

    'the one place'...I'm not used to this expression..

    I'm not a native speaker of English.
    Please wait for the native speakers to respond.

  3. dodonaomik's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 337
    #3

    Re: conjunction / relative clauses / article

    Quote Originally Posted by tzfujimino View Post
    'The cupboard was a(the) place where I didn't think(hadn't thought) of looking for the map.'
    sounds better to me.

    'the one place'...I'm not used to this expression..

    I'm not a native speaker of English.
    Please wait for the native speakers to respond.
    Can we say as the following ?
    The cupboard is the place where I didn't think of looking for the map.

  4. tzfujimino's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 2,697
    #4

    Re: conjunction / relative clauses / article

    Quote Originally Posted by dodonaomik View Post
    Can we say as the following ?
    The cupboard is the place where I didn't think of looking for the map.
    Hi, dodonaomik!(GTO lover?)
    Yes, I think so.
    Let's wait for the native speakers to respond.


    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 5,409
    #5

    Re: conjunction / relative clauses / article

    You have two choices:

    The cupboard was the one place where I didn't think to look for the map.

    or

    The cupboard was the one place where I hadn't thought of looking for the map.

  5. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,092
    #6

    Re: conjunction / relative clauses / article

    Quote Originally Posted by GOgogo View Post
    What do you think about the sentence below?

    The cupboard was the one place where I didn't think of looking for the map.

    How should I correct this sentence?

    PLS teach me.
    There's nothing wrong with your sentence. It needs no correction.
    However, that does not stop us here .
    The one correction I would make is to remove the redundant word "where".
    "The cupboard was the one place I didn't think of looking for the map."

  6. tzfujimino's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 2,697
    #7

    Re: conjunction / relative clauses / article

    Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    You have two choices:

    The cupboard was the one place where I didn't think to look for the map.

    or

    The cupboard was the one place where I hadn't thought of looking for the map.
    Oh...yes...
    There's an expression 'on the one hand,...', so it's OK to use it.

    May I ask what 'the one' means here?
    Could it mean...'the only'?

    Thank you in advance.

  7. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,092
    #8

    Re: conjunction / relative clauses / article

    Quote Originally Posted by tzfujimino View Post
    Oh...yes...
    There's an expression 'on the one hand,...', so it's OK to use it.

    May I ask what 'the one' means here?
    Could it mean...'the only'?

    Thank you in advance.
    Yes, "the one" means "the only". You could have used that.

  8. dodonaomik's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 337
    #9

    Re: conjunction / relative clauses / article

    Quote Originally Posted by tzfujimino View Post
    Hi, dodonaomik!(GTO lover?)
    Yes, I think so.
    Let's wait for the native speakers to respond.

    Yes,some Japanese movies are VERY COOL AND EXCELLENT and better than Chinese movies!

Similar Threads

  1. Relative clauses
    By Kanehsu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 18-Jul-2008, 06:20
  2. Definig - Non definin relative Clauses
    By Adil.Hid in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-May-2008, 11:54
  3. Relative Clauses
    By thealienone2000 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Nov-2007, 07:06
  4. relative clauses
    By snickchap in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-Feb-2006, 15:32
  5. Attributive Clause - China Needs Your Help
    By ChinaDavid in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-Jan-2005, 16:56

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •