1. imnew888

Question Is this correct?

For example, Lord Henry states, “Because to influence a person is to give him one’s own soul. He does not think his natural thoughts, or burn with his natural passions. His virtues are not real to him” (Wilde 20).

As Basil inquired, “You have done enough evil in your life. My God! Don’t you see that accursed thing leering at us?” (Bradbury 179)

As Basil had once said, “I worshipped you too much. I am punished for it. You worshipped yourself too much. We are both punished” (Wilde 178).

This is a formal essay and my teacher wants us to cite the author and page number...so would the sentences be correct?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by imnew888 View Post
    For example, Lord Henry states, “Because to influence a person is to give him one’s own soul. He does not think his natural thoughts, or burn with his natural passions. His virtues are not real to him” (Wilde 20).

As Basil inquired, “You have done enough evil in your life. My God! Don’t you see that accursed thing leering at us?” (Bradbury 179)

As Basil had once said, “I worshipped you too much. I am punished for it. You worshipped yourself too much. We are both punished” (Wilde 178).

This is a formal essay and my teacher wants us to cite the author and page number...so would the sentences be correct?
    Yes, this is OK. There are several popular formats for referencing.
    I'd write (Wilde, p.20). This is Harvard style. APA and Chicago are other style formats. But unless your teacher has specified a certain format, you can chose.

Oh okay, thanks, but I was also wondering...did I put the question mark for the second sentence in the right place? The periods go at the end, but is it the same for question marks? It seems a bit weird if the question mark is within the quotes and the citation is at the end without a period/question mark etc.

Quote Originally Posted by imnew888 View Post
    Oh okay, thanks, but I was also wondering...did I put the question mark for the second sentence in the right place? The periods go at the end, but is it the same for question marks? It seems a bit weird if the question mark is within the quotes and the citation is at the end without a period/question mark etc.
    Have a look here:
    Quotation Marks | Punctuation Rules

I.

oh thanks so much~!