• Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

• Post Thanks / Like

interpretation of three expression 2

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to review my interpretations of three expressions which focused my attention when reading Frank Hardy’s “The Returned Soldier”?

“Er, sorry, madam, I didn’t think…. You see, I thought perhaps you wanted a gardener; just the lawns cut, perhaps. Just an hour or two’s work, or something…”

We have a professional landscape gardener. In future, learn your place and go to the tradesmen's entrance. Not that we want any tramps around here."

“What’s the use. How long now? Since thirty-one; three years without more than a few days work at a time. Only the sushi and ten bob a week pension.”

“The assembled men swarmed around the bin, jostling each other, grabbing handfuls of the scraps from the bin, nearly overturning it in their hungry eagerness. Collins joined them for a moment; then suddenly pulled himself clear.”

1. landscape gardener = a gardener who arranges trees, paths, fountains, etc. , to produce picturesque effects

A landscape architect is a person, generally speaking, with an education, whether academic or practical, in landscape architecture and whose professional work conforms to the practice of the same name.

2. the sushi and ten bob pension = a weekly pension consisting of food and ten shillings which is just enough not to die of starvation.

3. pulled himself clear = freed himself from a temporary feeling of uncertainty , doubt, confusion

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards

V.
    Last edited by vil; 31-Jul-2008 at 06:56.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: interpretation of three expression 2

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to review my interpretations of three expressions which focused my attention when reading Frank Hardy’s “The Returned Soldier”?

“Er, sorry, madam, I didn’t think…. You see, I thought perhaps you wanted a gardener; just the lawns cut, perhaps. Just an hour or two’s work, or something…”

We have a professional landscape gardener. In future, learn your place and go to the tradesmen's entrance. Not that we want any tramps around here."

“What’s the use. How long now? Since thirty-one; three years without more than a few days work at a time. Only the sushi and ten bob a week pension.”

“The assembled men swarmed around the bin, jostling each other, grabbing handfuls of the scraps from the bin, nearly overturning it in their hungry eagerness. Collins joined them for a moment; then suddenly pulled himself clear.”

1. landscape gardener = a gardener who arranges trees, paths, fountains, etc. , to produce picturesque effects

A landscape architect is a person, generally speaking, with an education, whether academic or practical, in landscape architecture and whose professional work conforms to the practice of the same name. landscape architect = someone who designs gardens, often on a large scale.

2. the sushi and ten bob pension = a weekly pension consisting of food and ten shillings which is just enough not to die of starvation. The food and the ten-bob pension are separate things.

3. pulled himself clear = freed himself from a temporary feeling of uncertainty , doubt, confusion Physically moved out of the mob.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards

V.