Question I can't understand this!

Hi!
    Could anyone please tell me what ' an evolutionary crash ' means? I've come across that phrase in the sentence below.

...In turn, the awakening of a reflective consciousness at the scale of the entire species is fast becoming an evolutionary necessity if we are to avoid an evolutionary crash and a long detour leading to a new dark age for humanity.
    By the way, could you explain a little bit about the main meaning of that sentence?

Thanks a lot!

Re: I can't understand this!

...In turn, the awakening of a reflective consciousness at the scale of the entire species is fast becoming an evolutionary necessity

All human beings (the entire species) must become aware of the world's problems (awakening of a reflective consciousness) and this is extremely important for humanity to move forward and continue to progress (an evolutionary necessity)

if we are to avoid an evolutionary crash and a long detour leading to a new dark age for humanity.

This all must happen to avoid an evolutionary halt and a regression (an evolutionary crash).

This my interpretation.

I'm not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

I've found this article by Duane Elgin. "Evolutionary clash" seems to refer to the potential results of us continuing to consume natural resources such as oil as we currently do, and ignore such issues as climate change, dwindling natural resources and population increase. It borrows the term evolutionary from the Theory of Evolution, and I believe what he's suggesting is that the result will be a "survival of the fittest" situation (again borrowed from the scientific theory of evolution). In other words, it will result in bloody conflicts over competing interests and natural resources.

The basic point of the extract you posted is that everyone must become aware of the issues and change our behaviour ("the awakening of a reflective consciousness at the scale of the entire species") to avoid what he describes as an evolutionary crash ("is fast becoming an evolutionary necessity if we are to avoid an evolutionary crash").

Not a teacher.

Thanks for all of your help!