• Post Thanks / Like

disclose

Hi,

could you please tell me what "disclose" means in the following sentence:

The manufacturer shall keep confidential all manufacture formulae developed based on this contract and shall not disclose, dispose of and manufacture products that contain formulae identical to the ones developed based hereunder in favor of a third party.

Thanks a lot!

Hanka

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: disclose

Quote Originally Posted by Hanka View Post
    Hi,

The manufacturer shall keep confidential all manufacture formulae developed based on this contract and shall not disclose, dispose of and manufacture products that contain formulae identical to the ones developed based hereunder in favor of a third party.

Thanks a lot!

Hanka
    Hi, Hanka!

Under the terms of the contract, the manufacturer is legally obligated to keep all formulas secret and may not 'disclose' those 'secret formulas' to another manufacturer (third party). The 'non-disclosure' clause is standard procedure for most highly competitive companies.

Cheers,
    Amigo

• Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but in this sentence "disclose" refers to "products" and not to "formulas", doesnīt it?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but in this sentence "disclose" refers to "products" and not to "formulas", doesnīt it?
    Hanka,
    It is my interpretation that the manufacturer is legally bound to keep the formula AND the product confidential.

I interpret formulae to mean written documentation. What is your perception?

Cheers,
    Amigo

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    Hanka,
    It is my interpretation that the manufacturer is legally bound to keep the formula AND the product confidential.

I interpret formulae to mean written documentation. What is your perception?

Cheers,
    Amigo
    I also interpret formulae as written documentation. I just thought that those three verbs - disclose, dispose of and manufacture - all referred to products. Thank you very much!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

• Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Thanks a lot!

Hanka
    "disclose" means "give away to another party"; "leak".
    I think it should read "shall not disclose, dispose of or manufacture products..."
    "shall not disclose, dispose of and manufacture products" tends to suggest you can do 2 out of 3 of these things, but all of them!
    Are these contracts being written by a native English speaker?

• Post Thanks / Like

I donīt think it was written by a native English speaker.
    So "disclose" refers to "formulas" and "dispose of" and "manufacture" refers to "products"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

• Post Thanks / Like

I donīt think it was written by a native English speaker.
    So "disclose" refers to "formulas" and "dispose of" and "manufacture" refers to "products"?
    I think the intended meaning is obvious. You can't doing anything with the formulae or the product. that the company wouldn't want you to.
    However, if you must "keep confidential" the formulae, it's obvious that you aren't allowed to disclose it. I imagine it's supposed to be intended that this also means you can't dispose of the formulae or use it for your own use, but this isn't explicitly stated.