1. Unregistered

Question any teacher help me 2

before asking question
    I want to send my appreciation to two english teachers (to me)
    colloquim and I'm with stupid
    Thank you for helping me
    your help was very very useful to me
    God save the Queen!
    sooner or later I will register

by the way to the point
    I would add some other sentences to the sentence in question
    ---Title: Don't boast about your study habits
    Another readily identifiable "annoying person" in law school is the one who leans over before lecture three weeks into class and tells you that she was up until 4 pm.---
    In here
    what's the meaning of "leans over before three weeks into class"

I'm reading LAW school confidential by Robert H. Miller
    those sentences are in page 152
    anyone help me please

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Re: any teacher help me 2

It's not a very well written sentence in my opinion. I'm also assuming that it's actually 4am, not 4pm, because 4pm wouldn't make much sense.

But anyway, it means she leans towards you (in the way people sometimes do when they're talking to you, especially if they're trying to be quiet), before the lecture has started, 3 weeks after starting the course, and tells you she's was awake until 4am.

"Another readily identifiable "annoying person" in law school is the one who leans over before [the] lecture, three weeks into class, and tells you that she was up until 4am."

So the author started the course 3 weeks ago; he's sat in the lecture theatre waiting for the lecture to start, and a girl leans over to tell him that she was awake until 4am.

Hopefully that makes it a bit clearer.

Not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

"Another readily identifiable "annoying person" in law school is the one who leans over before [the] lecture, three weeks into class, and tells you that she was up until 4am."

"that she has been up studying until 4am." is the necessary meaning. It wouldn't be so annoying if was simply an insomniac.

Personally, I found it more annoying when someoneleans over before [the] lecture, two weeks before the exam, and tells you that she was up partying until 4am."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post

"that she has been up studying until 4am." is the necessary meaning. It wouldn't be so annoying if was simply an insomniac.

Personally, I found it more annoying when someoneleans over before [the] lecture, two weeks before the exam, and tells you that she was up partying until 4am."
    I did interpret it as "been up partying until 4am." She's only 3 weeks into the course and she already feels the need to take pride in the fact that she doesn't appear to be taking it seriously.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by I'm With Stupid View Post
    I did interpret it as "been up partying until 4am." She's only 3 weeks into the course and she already feels the need to take pride in the fact that she doesn't appear to be taking it seriously.
    No, no. It's only 3 weeks into the course, and this goody two-shoes smart girl is already boasting about sitting up until 4am studying for the term exam! That's the way I looked at it.