• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

interpretation of six idioms

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to review my interpretations of six idioms which focused my attention when reading a random dialog?

“Do you see much of Lena now?”
    “No, unfortunately. We had a tiff the other day. I think she was cut up by something I said. She never drops in to see me any more. I put it down to her quick temper. She is a girl of moods, you know. For the life of me I don’t know what else went wrong.”
    “I expected as much. Forgive my plain speaking but I must say you, too, are a spitfire. You should have taken yourself in hand.”
    “If you want to know it was not a matter of taking myself in hand. She had let N. down. I meant well by telling her what I thought and that was all there was to it. Afterwards I had half a mind to go to see her and have it out with her, but I couldn’t bring myself to do so, although I was not to blame.”

1. to put down to = to say that something is the cause of; to attribute to; to ascribe to

2. to take oneself in hand = to contain oneself

3. to let one (friend etc.) down = to leave a person in difficulties, in a helpless, embarrassing, difficult situation; abandon one in a dangerous situation

4. to mean weel = to have kindly feeling towards; to have good intentions

5. that was all there was to it = that’s all about it (shows finality)

6. to bring oneself to do something = to get oneself to do something; to make someone do something

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards

V.

Re: interpretation of six idioms

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to review my interpretations of six idioms which focused my attention when reading a random dialog?

“Do you see much of Lena now?”
    “No, unfortunately. We had a tiff the other day. I think she was cut up by something I said. She never drops in to see me any more. I put it down to her quick temper. She is a girl of moods, you know. For the life of me I don’t know what else went wrong.”
    “I expected as much. Forgive my plain speaking but I must say you, too, are a spitfire. You should have taken yourself in hand.”
    “If you want to know it was not a matter of taking myself in hand. She had let N. down. I meant well by telling her what I thought and that was all there was to it. Afterwards I had half a mind to go to see her and have it out with her, but I couldn’t bring myself to do so, although I was not to blame.”

1. to put down to = to say that something is the cause of; to attribute to; to ascribe to

2. to take oneself in hand = to contain oneself to control oneself

3. to let one (friend etc.) down = to leave a person in difficulties, in a helpless, embarrassing, difficult situation; abandon one in a dangerous situation to fail to support them in a time of need, whether slight or serious.

4. to mean weel = to have kindly feeling towards; to have good intentions

6. to bring oneself to do something = to get oneself to do something; to make someone do something

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards

V.

Re: interpretation of six idioms

I think your interpretations are very good.

However I don't think all is needed in this particular rephrasing

Perhaps a better rephrasing is: there's nothing more to mention on the issue.

I'm not a teacher.