Question how to improve my listening Englsih

When I listening to others (native English speaker), I have to pay 100% of my attention , so that I can understand them at most 60-70%, or I can't understand them at all. what should I do at present?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Re: how to improve my listening Englsih

Quote Originally Posted by jessica6086 View Post
    When I listening to others (native English speaker), I have to pay 100% of my attention , so that I can understand them at most 60-70%, or I can't understand them at all. what should I do at present?
    It is a very gradual process for non-native speakers to get used to the way native speakers speak due to the foreign accent and the difference in pronounciation and intonation of words. You just have to keep at it, constant exposure/practice of consciously listening to the radio, TV, etc and ideally, speaking with native speakers.

not a teacher
    Last edited by tedtmc; 02-Aug-2008 at 03:58.

Re: how to improve my listening Englsih

hi dear Jesica

you should notice that youare a non-native in engish so surely it takes a lot of time to improve ur level of undrestnding.

u need 4 the first step to pay attention to word stress, then to sentence stress, it makes u able to recognize the diffrences between word more easily. and never forget tolisten to bbc or voa news,and if it seems difficult or boring to u ,u can watch diffrent kinds of english or american films & movies because u will not get tired of them,practice so hard,at least each day 1 or 2 hours.let your ears to get famillar with english voices.even when u are just hear, your mind is uncosiously listenning.that's all. sorry for my bad spelling.