Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. enydia's Avatar

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 414
    #1

    I'd appreciate/prefer it if

    Hello, Teachers.

    Should I use subjunctive in the clause after the words "I'd appreciate/prefer it if"?

    Thanks in advance.

    Enydia *^_^*

  2. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #2

    Smile Re: I'd appreciate/prefer it if

    Quote Originally Posted by enydia View Post
    Hello, Teachers.

    Should I use subjunctive in the clause after the words "I'd appreciate/prefer it if"?

    Thanks in advance.

    Enydia *^_^*
    No, just use a past tense:

    I'd appreciate it if you could phone me up later.
    I'd prefer it if you didn't tell anyone about it.




    NOT A TEACHER WHATSOEVER!

  3. enydia's Avatar

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 414
    #3

    Re: I'd appreciate/prefer it if

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    No, just use a past tense:

    I'd appreciate it if you could phone me up later.
    I'd prefer it if you didn't tell anyone about it.



    NOT A TEACHER WHATSOEVER!
    Thank you for your reply. :)

    Is such past tense subjunctive or referring to the past?

  4. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #4

    Smile Re: I'd appreciate/prefer it if

    Quote Originally Posted by enydia View Post
    Thank you for your reply. :)

    Is such past tense subjunctive or referring to the past?
    No, the verb is in the subjunctive mood, so it does not refer to the past. If it referred to the past, it would be in the indicative mood then.


  5. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #5

    Red face Re: I'd appreciate/prefer it if

    I must have got you a bit confused about it all, enydia.

    The subjunctive has two forms - a present and past form. The present form is the same as the base form of the verb; you can see the difference to the indicative mood only in the third person singular, which has no final -s, and in the case of the verb be, which has the form be for all persons.
    The past subjunctive is identical with the past tense except in the case of the verb be, which has the form were for all persons.
    So if you say subjunctive, I take it for granted that you mean the present subjunctive, which is obviously different to the past subjunctive.


  6. enydia's Avatar

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 414
    #6

    Re: I'd appreciate/prefer it if

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    I must have got you a bit confused about it all, enydia.

    The subjunctive has two forms - a present and past form. The present form is the same as the base form of the verb; you can see the difference to the indicative mood only in the third person singular, which has no final -s, and in the case of the verb be, which has the form be for all persons.
    The past subjunctive is identical with the past tense except in the case of the verb be, which has the form were for all persons.
    So if you say subjunctive, I take it for granted that you mean the present subjunctive, which is obviously different to the past subjunctive.

    Thank you for your help!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •