• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Post Tell on her

Then she went out with a mysterious smile, leaving the door open. What was she talking about? Josie stared across the table at Natasha.
    "Blankets!" mouthed Natasha. If she talked out loud, Rosie Gold would tell on her.

Wolud you help me to understand the meaning in the last sentence "Rosie Gold would tell on her".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Tell on her

Quote Originally Posted by jkl View Post
    Then she went out with a mysterious smile, leaving the door open. What was she talking about? Josie stared across the table at Natasha.
    "Blankets!" mouthed Natasha. If she talked out loud, Rosie Gold would tell on her.

Wolud you help me to understand the meaning in the last sentence "Rosie Gold would tell on her".
    "to tell on someone" means to report them to the authorities. The "authority", when considering children, could be a mother or guardian - anyone in a position to discipline them.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    "to tell on someone" means to report them to the authorities. The "authority", when considering children, could be a mother or guardian - anyone in a position to discipline them.
    There's another (related?) meaning, which I've heard only in a song, but may have wider currency in America: 'Your cheatin' heart will tell on you' - here it seems to mean 'will be your ultimate downfall'/[or maybe "will reveal your wickedness in the end"]. But lyricists of all kinds tend to be rather creative with their language, in a way that might mislead language learners.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    There's another (related?) meaning, which I've heard only in a song, but may have wider currency in America: 'Your cheatin' heart will tell on you' - here it seems to mean 'will be your ultimate downfall'/[or maybe "will reveal your wickedness in the end"]. But lyricists of all kinds tend to be rather creative with their language, in a way that might mislead language learners.

b
    That's true. That would depend on who or what Rosie Gold was. I'm assuming she's some dobber, as we say.