• Post Thanks / Like

here/at here

Here is a noun and an adverb, but is there any differences between here and at here?
    I know we can say 'I live here' while 'I live at here' sounds very weired to me. What's the proper occasion to use 'at here'?

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: here/at here

'here' is not a noun. Perhaps it looks like one when you see the preposition 'to' followed by 'here' ='at here'.

I think what you have seen is a sentence such as,
    "So - what are we looking at here?"

We 'look at something' - the 'at' in my sentence refers to 'what':

"At what (particular something) are we looking?"

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

'at here' is not like 'here'. I think David's example (which I hadn't thought of before) accounts for the only possible juxtaposition (without an intervening comma) of "at" and "here". It used to be possible to combine "here" and a preposition, with the meaning '<preposition> this'; you may still find this (and combinations like it) in legal documents; it used to be possible even to add more than one prepositition in this way (so that you might see expressions like 'hereinafter referred to as ...' (meaning 'called <whatever> in the rest of this document'). But if you're not dealing with legal documents or historical texts you can safely ignore words like "hereat", "therein" and "whereafter"; and if you do meet them, don't be worried by all those apparent diphthongs: say "here/at", "there/in", and "where/after".

Last edited by BobK; 05-Aug-2008 at 22:40. Reason: Fix typo

• Post Thanks / Like

The other possibility is that you are paraphrasing from some specific sentences you have seen:

I live at Earl's Court.
    "I live at (some place)"
    and in your example, substitute 'here' for 'someplace'

What specific sentences have you seen that use this construction 'at here'?