are or is ?

Hi,

I have a grammar question about this sentence-One kind of habit that he studied are laryngeal habits.

Do you think this one is okay? I do not think this is correct in grammar. I think the right one would be-One kind of habit that he studied is laryngeal habits. Because he says "One kind of habit", not " The habits". Right?

Thanks for your help.

Professor: Now many people consider John Watson to be the founder of behaviorism. And like other behavorists, he believes that psychologists should study the behaviors they can observe and measure. They're not interested in mental processes. While a person could describe his thoughts, no one else can see or hear them to verify the accuracy of his report. But one thing you can observe is muscular habits. What Watson did was to observe muscular habits, because he viewed them as a manifestation of thinking. One kind of habit that he studied are laryngeal habits.

Re: are or is ?

Quote Originally Posted by XINLAI-UE View Post
    Hi,

I have a grammar question about this sentence-One kind of habit that he studied are laryngeal habits.

Do you think this one is okay? I do not think this is correct in grammar. I think the right one would be-One kind of habit that he studied is laryngeal habits. Because he says "One kind of habit", not " The habits". Right?

Thanks for your help.

Professor: Now many people consider John Watson to be the founder of behaviorism. And like other behavorists, he believes that psychologists should study the behaviors they can observe and measure. They're not interested in mental processes. While a person could describe his thoughts, no one else can see or hear them to verify the accuracy of his report. But one thing you can observe is muscular habits. What Watson did was to observe muscular habits, because he viewed them as a manifestation of thinking. One kind of habit that he studied are laryngeal habits.
    If you reverse the sentence: Laryngeal habits are one kind of habit that he studied, it makes grammatical sense. I think there is an argument for either usage, but I do rather agree that the original sentence does not feel right.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Aren't you also concerned with the sentence in blue? How can muscular habits be "one thing" (unless he also means one kind of habit here too)?
    In that case, he has used "is" in the blue sentence for the same thing as he has used "are" for in the red sentence.
    I prefer the red sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Aren't you also concerned with the sentence in blue? How can muscular habits be "one thing" (unless he also means one kind of habit here too)?
    In that case, he has used "is" in the blue sentence for the same thing as he has used "are" for in the red sentence.
    I prefer the red sentence.

Hello, Raymott,

G' day!

I still do not get why he says-One kind of habit that he studied are laryngeal habits.

According to your saying, then why does not he just say-One kind of habits that he studied are laryngeal habits. ?

It does sound strange to use one kind with a plural noun+verb.

One group of habits would perhaps look better.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Hello, Raymott,

G' day!

I still do not get why he says-One kind of habit that he studied are laryngeal habits.

According to your saying, then why does not he just say-One kind of habits that he studied are laryngeal habits. ?

I know. It doesn't sound perfect. But let's face it, he has to use either "is" or "are". Both Anglika and I prefer "are". That doesn't necessarily explain why, but I think it means it's acceptable.
    Firstly, we don't say "one kind of somethings", so that is not a solution.
    When you're talking about a kind of something, then you are implicitly talking about plural somethings.
    Laryngeal habits are one kind of habit.
    Apples are one source of energy. One source of energy is/are apples.
    Thrillers are one sort of movie. One sort of movie is/are thrillers.
    I prefer "are", but I couldn't object to "is".

The way I see it:
    One kind of habits that he studied are laryngeal habits.

He studied habits. One kind of those are laryngeal habits.

The verb refers to what he studied, not ''one kind''.
    That's why I'd object to ''is''.

Quote Originally Posted by IvanV View Post
    The way I see it:
    One kind of habits that he studied are laryngeal habits. Not good English. "One kind of habit" is the collocation. You could use the plural in the form "Amongst the many habits he studied are laryngeal habits."

He studied habits. One kind of those are laryngeal habits.

The verb refers to what he studied, not ''one kind''.
    That's why I'd object to ''is''.

God, yes! (kind of habits - ) I don't even know what I'm writing any more.

I'll get back to you when I get some sleep, hopefully. ;)