[that is] clause

Please examine the following sentence:

I have not come to any conclusion about this particular point, that is, of whether it is nobler to suffer mental anguish or to take up arms.

The thing that I'm feeling uneasy about is the "that is" part of the sentence. Is the sentence above really a run-on sentence ---- not really a good sentence?

Is the usage of commas proper?

If the sentence above is incorrect, what sort of changes could be made to make it perfect in grammar and punctation?

If there is a British style and a USA style to the above, I would be much interested in hearing about both.

Thank you very much.

JC

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: [that is] clause

Quote Originally Posted by kinghumpty View Post

I have not come to any conclusion about this particular point, that is, of whether it is nobler to suffer mental anguish or to take up arms.

The thing that I'm feeling uneasy about is the "that is" part of the sentence. Is the sentence above really a run-on sentence ---- not really a good sentence?

If the sentence above is incorrect, what sort of changes could be made to make it perfect in grammar and punctation?

If there is a British style and a USA style to the above, I would be much interested in hearing about both.

Thank you very much.

JC
    "I have not come to any conclusion about this particular point: whether it is nobler to suffer mental anguish or to take up arms."
    There's one solution, Hamlet.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by kinghumpty View Post

I have not come to any conclusion about this particular point, that is, of whether it is nobler to suffer mental anguish or to take up
    arms.

The thing that I'm feeling uneasy about is the "that is" part of the
    sentence. Is the sentence above really a run-on sentence ---- not really a good sentence?

Thank you very much.

JC
    My main objection to the sentence is the presence of "of", which Raymott has also discarded.
    You could say, 'I have not come to any conclusion about this particular point, (which is) whether it is nobler to suffer mental anguish or to take up arms.'

Since the colon is a combination 'namely/that is/ I will spell it out for you', to use a colon and 'that is' is redundant. My choice would be:

I have not come to any conclusion about this particular point, that is, as to 'whether it is nobler to suffer mental anguish or to take up arms.'

Single quotes not double because you have not quoted exactly e.g. 'it is' versus 'tis'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post
    My main objection to the sentence is the presence of "of", which Raymott has also discarded.
    You could say, 'I have not come to any conclusion about this particular point, (which is) whether it is nobler to suffer mental anguish or to take up arms.'
    Or:
    'I have not come to any conclusion about this particular point i.e. whether it is nobler to suffer mental anguish or to take up arms.'
    But yes, the "of" has to go.