• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

constitunency

Hello everyone,
    What does the underlined in the following pragraph mean?
    today the surgeon General of the US made his first public statement about aides. He called for sex education in schools and he suggested more direct ways to prevent aides. Many public health officials have been making the same public recommendations for years. But as NPR'S Richard Harris reports the statement are something of departure for the surgeon general. When doctor Coup was appointed to surgeon general in 1981, critics were worried that his ties to fundamentalist religion and his involvement in the pro-life movement would interfere with his medical advice to the nation. But today Coup risked offending that constituency as he released a report on aids
    Does the constituency here mean supporter-those who had voted for him in his campain for the position of Surgeon General?
    Regards
    Sky

Re: constitunency

Does the constituency here mean supporters who had voted for him in his campain for the position of Surgeon General?

Yes. I'm not exactly sure how a surgeon general is voted in, but this suggests that his latest statements will upset those who originally supported his bid for the role.

Richard Harris reports the statement are something of departure for the surgeon general.

This suggests that he has changed his views on the issue, and that his current attitude is contrary to what it was in the past.

I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by colloquium View Post
    Does the constituency here mean supporters who had voted for him in his campain for the position of Surgeon General?

Yes. I'm not exactly sure how a surgeon general is voted in, but this suggests that his latest statements will upset those who originally supported his bid for the role.

Richard Harris reports the statement are something of departure for the surgeon general.

This suggests that he has changed his views on the issue, and that his current attitude is contrary to what it was in the past.

I am not a teacher.

Thanks! Is something of departure an idiom? And is it commonly used in daily English?

Quote Originally Posted by sky753 View Post
    Thanks! Is something of departure an idiom? And is it commonly used in daily English?
    It just means to 'deviate' from something previous. I don't know that you'd call it an idiom.

You'd only really hear it being used in academia or news reports.