Conditionals

hello

1. ‘There are numerous things that people in 2100 may collect from the time I live in. Some will perhaps be collecting cars from this time period, other various electrical devices that are currently in use, while others may take interest…’

Last sentence talks about future and yet not all of its clauses are in future tense. First clause uses future simple, but second and third don’t!

‘… while others may take interest… ‘ <-- this clause uses simple present but doesn’t use any adverbs to indicate a future. The only way we know it talks about the future is because we perceive it in the context of the first sentence ( ‘There are numerous things that…’ ) and first clause (‘Some people will…’).

a) So what are the rules when particular sentence talks about certain time period ( past, future ), but some/or all of its clauses don’t use that tense for verbs? Is it enough that only one of the clauses is in that tense or …?

2. Second conditional uses the past tense in the condition part and would for the result:

‘If I had a lot of money, I would travel around a world.’

a) Is the following also second conditional:

‘If I had a lot of money I would travel around a world, get a pilot license and buy an airplane and then fly it across the sea.’

Here only second clause uses would , but not the third and fourth clauses.
    Are third and fourth clauses somehow a part of a second clause and as such don’t need another WOULD?

b) Isn’t WOULD only used to talk about the future when inside conditional clauses? If so, then why is the following allowed ( since it isn’t conditional statement ):

‘But I wouldn’t spend it on a big house or fancy cars and I also wouldn’t go on a spending spree. Perhaps I would also donate to some charity organization, one that tries to save endangered species’

thank you

Re: Conditionals

1. ‘There are numerous things that people in 2100 may collect from the time I live in. Some will perhaps be collecting cars from this time period, other various electrical devices that are currently in use, while others may take interest…’
    Normally the sentence is that way:1. ‘There are numerous things that people in 2100 may collect from the time I live in. Some will perhaps be collecting cars from this time period, other(will perhaps be collecting) various electrical devices that are currently in use But the writer wanted to avoid the repetition that's why he ellipted the verb.
    -In the second clause the writer used may+present to refer to the futur because it's a prediction and predictions are always in the future

2. Second conditional uses the past tense in the condition part and would for the result:

‘If I had a lot of money, I would travel around a world.’

a) Is the following also second conditional:

‘If I had a lot of money I would travel around a world, get a pilot license and buy an airplane and then fly it across the sea.’
    This sentence is correct as i said the writer ellipted the would to avoid repetition as long as you are in the same sentence you can only use one would

b) Isn’t WOULD only used to talk about the future when inside conditional clauses? If so, then why is the following allowed ( since it isn’t conditional statement ):

‘But I wouldn’t spend it on a big house or fancy cars and I also wouldn’t go on a spending spree. Perhaps I would also donate to some charity organization, one that tries to save endangered species’

Wouldn't here means didn't want to

it can be used in different cases not only in conditional clauses

Quote Originally Posted by awatef View Post

Normally the sentence is that way:
    1. ‘There are numerous things that people in 2100 may collect from the time I live in. Some will perhaps be collecting cars from this time period, other(will perhaps be collecting) various electrical devices that are currently in use But the writer wanted to avoid the repetition that's why he ellipted the verb.

-In the second clause the writer used may+present to refer to the futur because it's a prediction and predictions are always in the future

I don't think the last clause should be treated differently from the first two.

May (in this instance) can also be taken to mean will perhaps.

I'm not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by colloquium View Post

I don't think the last clause should be treated differently from the first two.

May (in this instance) can also be taken to mean will perhaps.

I'm not a teacher.
    You are right about that, but there are other problems in this sentence;

‘If I had a lot of money I would travel around the world, get a pilot's license, buy an airplane and then fly it across the sea.’

Why the confusion?

If I had a lot of money I would travel around the world, get a pilot'slicense, buyan airplane and then fly it across the sea.

It just means that if I had a lot of money, I would travel, I would get a pilot's license, I would do this and I would do that . .

You can make legitimate short cuts in English you know.

I'm going to buy some ham, eggs, milk and bread. I don't have to say I'm going to buy some ham, I'm going to buy some eggs. I'm going to buy some milk etc etc. If you did, no one would listen to you!

hello

Even if second clause is also in the future, the third is not and thus I’m guessing that it is allowed to have a sentence where one talks about certain time period, but not all clauses in that sentence uses appropriate tense ( I’m not talking about conditionals )?

This sentence is correct as i said the writer ellipted the would to avoid repetition as long as you are in the same sentence you can only use one would
    Is the sentence considered a second conditional?

But the above sentences talk about the future , while ‘didn’t want to’ would imply the past?!

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
    hello

Even if second clause is also in the future, the third is not and thus I’m guessing that it is allowed to have a sentence where one talks about certain time period, but not all clauses in that sentence uses appropriate tense ( I’m not talking about conditionals )?

Yes. The tense can be deducted from the context.

A) What do you plan to do?

B) I am going to get a good job, (I'm going to) buy a big house, a fast car and then (I am going to) retire early.

The blue going to's are not needed.

Yes. If + Past (Had) + would + Bare Infinitive (travel)

If I had a lot of money, I would travel around the world.....

Quote:

But the above sentences talk about the future , while ‘didn’t want to’ would imply the past?!

I think would can be taken to mean upon reflection or hypothetically speaking.

Thank you
    I am not a teacher.

hello

Yes. The tense can be deducted from the context.

A) What do you plan to do?

B) I am
    going to get a good job, (I'm going to) buy a big house, a fast car and then (I am going to) retire early.

The blue
    going to's are not needed.
    But here we just omit going to’s, but the verbs in clauses with omitted going to’s still have the same verb ( in our case infinitive ) form as a verb ( get ) in the clause containing going to auxiliary verb.
    Are there cases where a clause could also ( besides omitting auxiliary verb ( going to or will have/has or… ) ), use different form for a main verb ( for example –ing or -ed or …)?

Yes. If + Past (Had) + would + Bare Infinitive (travel)

If I had a lot of money, I would travel around the world.....
    So the whole sentence is considered a second conditional?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
    hello

But here we just omit going to’s, but the verbs in clauses with omitted going to’s still have the same verb ( in our case infinitive ) form as a verb ( get ) in the clause containing going to auxiliary verb.
    Are there cases where a clause could also ( besides omitting auxiliary verb ( going to or will have/has or… ) ), use different form for a main verb ( for example –ing or -ed or …)?

Well, you would use -ing or -ed forms (with the aux omitted) if the original "future" tense form used one of those participles.

E.g.

Future Perfect.
    (When speaking about completed actions before a certain point in the future.)

Before 2020 I will have gotten a good job, (I will have) bought a big house, a fast car and then (I will have) retired early.

You cannot mix the verb forms up. They need to agree with the original unless the sentence is altered.

So the whole sentence is considered a second conditional?

Yes.

The second conditional is formed with: If + Past tense verb + would + Bare Infinitive(s). Your sentence has 4 infinitives travel/get/buy/fly.

Thank you