Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. tzfujimino's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 2,698
    #1

    Questions

    Hello, everyone!

    What word would you put in each blank below?

    1) John never writes (...... ). We haven't heard from him since he left.
    2) An (...... ) is a thing which carries people up and down in the building.

    These questions were actually given on entrance examinations of Japanese high schools.

    My answers:
    1) us or letters(e-mails)
    2) elevator or escalator

    Could you correct me if I'm wrong?

    Thank you in advance!


    • Join Date: Aug 2008
    • Posts: 24
    #2

    Smile Re: Questions

    1 - Us
    2 - Elevator (or lift)

    (That's what I think )

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,629
    #3

    Re: Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by tzfujimino View Post
    Hello, everyone!

    What word would you put in each blank below?

    1) John never writes (...... ). We haven't heard from him since he left.
    2) An (...... ) is a thing which carries people up and down in the building.

    These questions were actually given on entrance examinations of Japanese high schools.

    My answers:
    1) us or letters(e-mails)
    2) elevator or escalator

    Could you correct me if I'm wrong?

    Thank you in advance!
    Letters and elevator I would say.


    • Join Date: Aug 2008
    • Posts: 40
    #4

    Re: Questions

    In U.K. English you can't say he never writes us

    you have to say he never writes to usIn U.K. English you always say he writes to me

    e.g. she wrote to meI wrote to him

    etc

    But in U.S.A. English you don't need to


    e.g I write him every week

    She never writes me

    I'll write you as soon as I get home.


    SO YOU NEED TO KNOW WHICH VERSION YOU USE IN JAPAN. i DON'T KNOW!

  3. tzfujimino's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 2,698
    #5

    Re: Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by the concierge View Post
    In U.K. English you can't say he never writes us

    you have to say he never writes to usIn U.K. English you always say he writes to me

    e.g. she wrote to meI wrote to him

    etc

    But in U.S.A. English you don't need to


    e.g I write him every week

    She never writes me

    I'll write you as soon as I get home.


    SO YOU NEED TO KNOW WHICH VERSION YOU USE IN JAPAN. i DON'T KNOW!
    Thank you, the concierge!
    Either way it's OK, as long as it is correct(acceptable).

  4. IvanV's Avatar

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 576
    #6

    Re: Questions

    As for second, escalator is not the day's best choice.
    Elevator is, on the other hand, perfect. (You can't put 'lift', you have 'an')

    I.

  5. tzfujimino's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 2,698
    #7

    Re: Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by IvanV View Post
    As for second, escalator is not the day's best choice.
    Elevator is, on the other hand, perfect. (You can't put 'lift', you have 'an')

    I.
    Thank you, IvanV, as always!

  6. Kraken's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2006
    • Posts: 333
    #8

    Re: Questions

    I'm not a teacher, but I would choose "home" for the first one. Even "back" wouldn't sound too bad.

  7. tzfujimino's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 2,698
    #9

    Re: Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    I'm not a teacher, but I would choose "home" for the first one. Even "back" wouldn't sound too bad.
    Hi, Kraken!
    Yes...you've made a good point. They could be family members..yes!
    Thank you for your comments!

Similar Threads

  1. Passive
    By cheap cigarette in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-May-2007, 20:29
  2. Please, please answer the questions!
    By asad hussain in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 14-Jan-2007, 13:53
  3. Please answer the questions!
    By asad hussain in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Jan-2007, 01:51
  4. Many questions.....
    By sula54 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Nov-2005, 12:18
  5. Proofread plus long list of questions
    By HaraKiriBlade in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-Jun-2005, 14:46

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •