• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

I or I'll

"I can't find cheap tickets for the holiday. I am short of money now and I fear not to be able to travel. Keep your fingers crossed so that I/I'll find affordable tickets!"

Hi,
    In the text above should I simply use "I" or "I'll", please?
    Thanks.

Re: I or I'll

Both are grammatically right but in this sentence use I because the tense of all the vbs is the present and not future

Quote Originally Posted by jctgf View Post
    "I can't find cheap tickets for the holiday. I am short of money now and I fear I won't be able to travel. Keep your fingers crossed that I'll find affordable tickets!"

Hi,
    In the text above should I simply use "I" or "I'll", please?
    Thanks.
    On second thoughts, I'm not sure. I suggested I'll, but I don't think will is usually used in subordinate clauses. The present tense is more common. However, in this instance, I'll does look good to me.

I'm not a teacher.
    Last edited by colloquium; 10-Aug-2008 at 19:05.

use the present tense

. . . so that I find .. is correct

What does the mean of "affordable"??? (I'm not a teacher).Thanks.

but I don't think 'will' is usually used in subordinate clauses. The present tense is more common
    When the verb in the principal clause is in the Present or Future tense, the verb in the subordinate clause may be in any tense that the context requires.

I maintain (main clause) that he is honest (subordinate clause).
    I maintain that he was honest.
    I maintain that he will be honest.

use the present tense

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    but I don't think 'will' is usually used in subordinate clauses. The present tense is more common
    When the verb in the principal clause is in the Present or Future tense, the verb in the subordinate clause may be in any tense that the context requires.

I maintain (main clause) that he is honest (subordinate clause).
    I maintain that he was honest.
    I maintain that he will be honest.

use the present tense

Why?
    What is your personal opinion David?

If I was uttering the sentence to someone, I'm sure I would automatically tend towards I'll.

I can't find cheap tickets for the holiday. I am short of money now and I fear I won't be able to travel. Keep your fingers crossed that I('ll) find affordable tickets!

It makes no special difference in meaning if you change it into Future tense form.
    Though it sounds to me that ''I find'' suggests that I'm currently actively searching for the ticket, whereas ''I will'' denotes a slight delay of the search. It's subtle, and it may be a flash-thought in a moment, but it's whorth of mentioning, I reckon.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

jctgf,
    A: I can't find cheap tickets for the holiday. I am short of money now and I fear (that) I won't be able to travel.

B: Keep your fingers crossed so that I can / will be able to find affordable tickets!
    **A teacher**

On second thoughts, I'm not sure
    What is your personal opinion David?

If I was uttering the sentence to someone, I'm sure I would automatically tend towards I'll.

Colloquium: That's why, when we both look at the sentence, we both wrestle with the choice.

This is my take/opinion. The original sentence is (and concentrating on the final clause):
    "I can't find cheap tickets for the holiday. I am short of money now and I fear not to be able to travel. Keep your fingers crossed so that I/I'll find affordable tickets!"
    Is the person saying, as I continue my search for cheap tickets, that one day I will find them'?
    The speaker is dealing with two ideas: 'cheap tickets' (and thereby) 'able to travel'. These two ideas then compete in the last few words. So he could have finished the sentence in two ways:
    ''keep your fingers crossed that I find I can travel" in contrast to 'fear not be able to travel'
    or
    ''keep your fingers crossed that I wlll find cheap tickets"
    Uppermost in the speaker's mind is not the quest for these cheap tickets, but 'I want to go on this trip, be able to travel'. It is not so much the 'process' of searching for cheap tickets (that extends into some unknown future) that is the real issue, as it is that moment of relief when he does find them. That's the feeling state of the speaker, and so it comes across in saying, 'that I reach that moment when I realize' : "I can travel" - 'I find I can travel'. And that moment eventuates when he finds cheap tickets.
    All in all, I'd go with 'I find' - but that's my 'feeling', my 'perspective' having been in that situation! Normal economy can be up to three times what Opodo et al. have to offer.
    Having said that, I can well imagine a less optimistic person, albeit desperately wanting to go on the holiday, clutching to the straw of hope that he "will find cheap tickets'.
    Less a grammatical question, and more a reflection of one's outlook on life perhaps.
    Last edited by David L.; 11-Aug-2008 at 15:56.