• Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

the word "ferry"

Hi,

does the word 'ferry' exclusively relate to boat transport or can it have the general meaning of transport as such?

Thus, can we say 'ferry company' is the same as 'transport company/haulier' and 'ferry operator' as 'transport operator'?

I have got a document to translate, and there is for example a box 'Signature or stamp of ferry company', but the whole text is supposed to be about trailers/trucks. Does it then mean 'Signature or stamp of transport company/haulier' regardless of the kind of transport?

Thanks for your kind answer.

Waawe

Re: the word "ferry"

I think the truck/trailer equivalent of ferry company is haulage company.

I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by colloquium View Post
    I think the truck/trailer equivalent of ferry company is haulage company.

I am not a teacher.
    Thanks for your answer.

Do you intend to say the word ferry cant be used for any kind of transport? Does it apply only to boat transportation?

Quote Originally Posted by Waawe View Post
    Thanks for your answer.

Do you intend to say the word ferry cant be used for any kind of transport? Does it apply only to boat transportation?
    It does apply to other forms of transport, but haulage is the common term when speaking of lorries/trucks.

Signature/stamp of haulage company would be a stronger indicator that you are referring to a company which transports goods by road.

'ferry' means 'transporting (someone or something) from one place to another'. However, the implication is that the means of transport by which this movement of people or goods is done, goes back and forth between two places.
    So, if a stretch of track at railway station, B, is closed, then they provide buses which go back and forth, back and forth, between stations A and C, ferrying the passengers between the two places where the railway is still open and operating.

If this is a legal contract, then 'ferry company' may be being used generally: a road haulage company may operate regularly between two towns or countries, ferrying goods there, and different goods back.

We should really say, ferry boat; but this has become shortened to just 'ferry'; and because ferry boats are so common in Europe, it might seem that a 'ferry' is only a boat.
    Last edited by David L.; 11-Aug-2008 at 04:58.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Ferry used as a noun refers to the mode of transport through water.
    When used as a verb, it means to move goods or people using any form of transport.

Thus, I think the term 'ferry company' which appears to be a 'noun' in the context is not really appropriate for a company dealing with truck/trailers. 'Ferrying company' would sound better.

not a teacher

Ah. Is this document in English and you are translating into Czech; or is 'ferry company' your English translation from the Czech?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    Ah. Is this document in English and you are translating into Czech; or is 'ferry company' your English translation from the Czech?
    It is an English document by a Dutch haulage company I need to switch into Czech. It is called Trailer Manual and really is all about trucks/trailers. In the Czech Republic we havent got a sea either(for the time being). I am afraid the author has made a mistake.

Thank you all for assistance, this is really a great site! People helping for free.

Waawe