1. Unregistered

curry

I want to make curry. I went to the store. They didn't have curry power but they had curry blocks. I have to melt the blocks in hot water and they become curry liquid.

What do we call the blocks and the when curry becomes liquid?

Re: curry

The cubes dissolve in the hot water.

I am not sure that we would/could classify the liquid as a 'stock'. Any cooks in the forum? Here's your chance - an actual culinary situation where all comers welcome: we can't have 'too many' stirring this one around!
    Last edited by David L.; 11-Aug-2008 at 05:42.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

There are chicken stock cubes, beef stock cubes so there should be curry stock cubes.

not a teacher

A stock is the liquid made by cooking bones, meat, fish, or vegetables slowly in water, after all remaining solids are filtered out. The cubes are then a compressed form of the dehydrated stock.
    Since a cube of curry is just the curry powder compressed into cubes as a convenient packaging and 'measuring' form, I have my doubts.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

I doubt if they make curry powder into cube form, the ingredients are just curry powder. It would be easier to have it in sachets. The other ingredients such as spices/herbs/stock would most likely be used. The idea is to cook up some instant curry in a jiffy using an all-in-one ingredient.

not a teacher

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I want to make curry. I went to the store. They didn't have curry power but they had curry blocks. I have to melt the blocks in hot water and they become curry liquid.

"What do we call the blocks and the when curry becomes liquid?"
    ????????????
    I don't know what you said.

Little point, tedtmc, in telling me your doubts: I'm just dealing with Guest's experience. Apparently, he does have 'blocks' of curry - I went to the store. They didn't have curry power but they had curry blocks.

tedtmc:
    It would be easier to have it in sachets

We can also buy stock granules in tins. But not sachets!
    Sachets cost more to manufacture and are used for liquids, which need a strong, leak-proof but easily opened means of delivery to the customer. Stock liquid comes in both cartons and large plastic sachets.
    Last edited by David L.; 11-Aug-2008 at 10:59.