I thave another doubt

I am watching a movie. The lady is old so she uses a lot of expressions like that one:
    "I've suffered more defeats than you have teeth."

I think it is not as it appears to be... So, what does it mean? Please, if you might help me I would appreciate.

Thanks

Re: I thave another doubt

Eleanor of Aquitaine: We can't win, Richard. We've lost it this time.

Richard : You think I'm finished, do you? So I do.

Eleanor :I've suffered more defeats than you have teeth.

Richard :I know one when it happens to me.

Someone like to take it from there?

And also, "there'll be pork in the treetops come morning."

Smile Re: I thave another doubt

Yeah. I'm watching that movie to improve my English but that expressions dare me... It's a new experience!!!! Tks

Re: I thave another doubt

Eleanor of Aquitaine was married to two Kings, with all the conflicts they got involved in that Eleanor would have felt part of; and she also actually joined in the Crusades.

Hence, she had been involved in many battles, and particularly with the Crusades, many defeats.
    An adult person normally has a full set of teeth (32), but we can lose a tooth from decay and having to have it removed; or a tooth gets knocked out. Since the only dentistry they had in those days was yanking teeth out (no drilling and filling cavities); and those lost in battles; and because of poor dental hygiene and diseased gums, teeth becoming loose and falling out; then by the time a person is old, he might be almost toothless. We don't know how many teeth he has lost, but it is implied, he has lost a lot of his teeth, and that Eleanor has lost even more 'battles' of one kind or another than that. 'I've lost more battles - (so, each time suffering a defeat) - than the number of teeth you have lost.

Note: a defeat may not just be as in an actual battle as in a war. Being a king or queen in those times meant that one was constantly in conflict with other countries and with powerful lords at court. For example, Henry VIII might have been said to have suffered a defeat, when he so desperately wanted a divorce and the Pope refused to grant it. Except, in this battle of wills, Henry won, by outlawing Catholicism, and substituting the Church of England.
    Last edited by David L.; 13-Aug-2008 at 09:29.

Smile Re: I thave another doubt

Dear David: the England history is fascinating. I love it. I watched: Tudors 2006, 2007; Henry VIII 2003, Ann of thousand days, the other boleyn girl 2008, Mary the queen of Scots 1972, A man for all seasons 1966.... I think that one is theme for many movies. Now, I was trying to help someone here (in Brazil - like me to watch "The Lion in Winter") because I was trying to translate the subtitle to portuguese. It is not an easy task. So, understand some details of your history is important to us. And so improve my English...
    Well, about the churches, unfortunately, even now, many people die in name of God. So, I think that is very important to learn the past and England history is something that really attracts me.

Thanks for all your explanation.

Sincerely, D.

PS: Neither the movie nor the subtitle is not available for us in portuguese.
    Last edited by Dharamaria; 16-Aug-2008 at 00:42.