• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Pronunciation of 'often'

Quote Originally Posted by ladybird987 View Post
    Could a British man write something? I got confused...
    The reason for the conflicting views is that the pronunciation of the south of England (which influenced America) doesn't have the [t] sound. So when people from the midlands and the north of England heard it (in films, initially) they thought 'Aha, that's American'. But there's never (well, not for centuries at least) been a [t] sound in the word "often" in much of the south of England. And there's a question of social class too; using a [t] sound, in some circles, marks the speaker as 'common'.

W. S. Gilbert made a joke out of it in the libretto for The Pirates of Penzance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (much of the plot of which, as you will see from that article, hinges on the idea of an 'orphan'); there's a character who has to say 'often (frequently)', because he doesn't say 'ofTen' but (unusually, for today's ears) he pronounces the words "often" and "orphan" with similar-sounding first syllables.

b

2. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Never with a [t] in Oz, apart from 80+ yr olds.
    Please, pardon this (maybe stupid) question, but what does "Oz" stand for?

Oz = Australian (English)? Seems logical, since I read something like Brisbane, though my initial reaction was to think of a certain fantasy land with wizards and stuff. As I've never seen Oz in another context, I was just a bit confused a moment ago.

To the topic: At least on the BBC services I have never heard it with a pronounced T. So, when this is good English...! I'd always go for /offen/ too, because this is how I learned it at school, and furthermore /often/ sounds nearly like the German equivalent: oft.

The same term, "oft", and spoken exactly like the German word, is also, unless my memory betrays me, an archaic (or literary?) English variant for "often". I guess, that's what historically explains the 't' in 'often' anyway.
    Last edited by LeMoyne; 29-Oct-2008 at 01:05.

VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by LeMoyne View Post
    Please, pardon this (maybe stupid) question, but what does "Oz" stand for?

Oz = Australian (English)? Seems logical, since I read something like Brisbane, though my initial reaction was to think of a certain fantasy land with wizards and stuff. As I've never seen Oz in another context, I was just a bit confused a moment ago.

To the topic: At least on the BBC services I have never heard it with a pronounced T. So, when this is good English...! I'd always go for /offen/ too, because this is how I learned it at school, and furthermore /often/ sounds nearly like the German equivalent: oft.

The same term, "oft", and spoken exactly like the German word, is also, unless my memory betrays me, an archaic (or literary?) English variant for "often". I guess, that's what historically explains the 't' in 'often' anyway.
    Sorry, Oz stands for Australia. I shouldn't use that therm here.
    Yes, "oft" is almost never used, except for poetically. The t is pronounced in "oft".

Harmless drudge
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by LeMoyne View Post

Both. As Raymott said it's used in poetry (of a certain age - I don't think modern poets still use it). But although it's no longer used as a free-standing adverb, it is used to form compound adjectives such as 'oft-repeated'.

b

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2