1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Yet

Hi,
    I thought "yet" was to be used in negative sentences. So in a certain context, I'd have said: Haven't they arrived yet?" However, I've read "Have they arrive yet?"
    Is it correct?
    Thanks,

Re: Yet

Quote Originally Posted by MaratJG View Post
    Hi,
    I thought "yet" was to be used in negative sentences. So in a certain context, I'd have said: Haven't they arrived yet?" However, I've read "Have they arrive yet?"
    Is it correct?
    Thanks,
    Yes, but you are using the present perfect tense so you need to use the past participle of arrive.

Have they arrived yet?

Non-affirmitive words like yet are often used in questions.

I am not a teacher.

Re: Yet

How good is your dictionary in explaining the meaning and different uses?

Here's what one online dictionary says:
    yet
    adverb
    1 up until the present or an unspecified or implied time; by now or then : I haven't told anyone else yet | aren't you ready to go yet? | I have yet to be convinced | [with superlative ] the congress was widely acclaimed as the best yet.
    • [with negative ] as soon as the present or a specified or implied time : wait, don't go yet.
    • from now into the future for a specified length of time : I hope to continue for some time yet.
    • referring to something that will or may happen in the future : further research may yet explain the enigma | I know she's alive and I'll find her yet.
    • up to and including the present or time mentioned; still:: is it raining yet?
    2 still; even (used to emphasize increase or repetition) : snow, snow, and yet more snow | yet another diet book | the rations were reduced yet again.