I wonder if they are right!!!!

I found the following sentences of How To Learn English in an English language internet site, World English : test, learn and study the English language online like this site.

I wonder if the underlined part is right. Thank you so much in advance. ^^

1. Is it possible, the present perfect of "have to"?
    2. I think "convincing" should be corrected to "convinced". Right?
    3. I don'd understand "By this"
    4. I think "than " should be corrected to "from". Right?

If they are not right, I wonder how there could be those mistakes in a site for Learning English.

Listen to Native Speakers as Much as Possible

There are some good English teachers that have had to learn English as a second language before they could teach it. However, there are several reasons why many of the best schools prefer to hire native English speakers. One of the reasons is that native speakers have a natural flow to their speech that students of English should try to imitate. The closer ESL / EFL students can get to this rhythm or flow, the more convincing and comfortable they will become.
    Listen to English

By this, we mean, speak on the phone or listen to radio broadcasts, audio books or CDs in English. This is different than watching the television or films because you canít see the person that is speaking to you
    Last edited by Brightsun; 17-Aug-2008 at 11:56.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: I wonder if they are right!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brightsun View Post
    I found the following sentences of How To Learn English in an English language internet site, World English : test, learn and study the English language online like this site.

I wonder if the underlined part is right. Thank you so much in advance. ^^

1. Is it possible, the present perfect of "have to"?
    2. I think "convincing" should be corrected to "convinced". Right?
    3. I don'd understand "By this"
    4. I think "than " should be corrected to "from". Right?

If they are not right, I wonder how there could be those mistakes in a site for Learning English.

Listen to Native Speakers as Much as Possible

There are some good English teachers that have had to learn English as a second language before they could teach it. However, there are several reasons why many of the best schools prefer to hire native English speakers. One of the reasons is that native speakers have a natural flow to their speech that students of English should try to imitate. The closer ESL / EFL students can get to this rhythm or flow, the more convincing and comfortable they will become.
    Listen to English

By this, we mean, speak on the phone or listen to radio broadcasts, audio books or CDs in English. This is different than watching the television or films because you canít see the person that is speaking to you

It all seems perfectly correct to me, what makes you think that it isn't?

Thank you for your reply.
    I haven't reached to a full understanding. So I'd like to ask your help of you again. Thank you so much. ^^

1. I have never seen the sentence which has "have had to', the Present Perfect pattern of 'have to". Is this sentence right and used well?
    "I have had to study English.

2. In the following sentence, in my opinion, I think that "could" must be corrected to "can" Am I wrong?

There are some good English teachers that have had to learn English as a second language before they could teach it.

3. The word, 'different', is used like this. English is different from French.
    So in my opinion "than" in the following sentence must be corrected to "from".
    Am I wrong?

This is different than watching the television or films because you canít see the person that is speaking to you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Thank you for your reply.
    I haven't reached to a full understanding. So I'd like to ask your help of you again. Thank you so much. ^^

1. I have never seen the sentence which has "have had to', the Present Perfect pattern of 'have to". Is this sentence right and used well?
    "I have had to study English.

2. In the following sentence, in my opinion, I think that "could" must be corrected to "can" Am I wrong?

There are some good English teachers that have had to learn English as a second language before they could teach it.

3. The word, 'different', is used like this. English is different from French.
    So in my opinion "than" in the following sentence must be corrected to "from".
    Am I wrong?

This is different than watching the television or films because you canít see the person that is speaking to you
    "Have had to..." is quite correct, "I have had to stop smoking, doctors orders." "I have had to buy new tyres for my car, the old ones were worn out." "Different from" or "different than" can both be used.

Thank you so much for your kind reply.
    Then let me ask one more question.
    you said like this.

"Have had to..." is quite correct, "I have had to stop smoking, doctors orders." "I have had to buy new tyres for my car, the old ones were worn out." "Different from" or "different than" can both be used.

Then I wonder what is the difference between No.1 and No.2.

1. I have had to stop smoking. I have had to buy new tires for my car.
    2. I have to stop smoking. I have to buy new tires for my car.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Thank you so much for your kind reply.
    Then let me ask one more question.
    you said like this.

Then I wonder what is the difference between No.1 and No.2.

1. I have had to stop smoking. I have had to buy new tires for my car.
    2. I have to stop smoking. I have to buy new tires for my car.
    "I have had to..." It was something I was obliged to do and I have already done it.
    "I have to..." It is something I am obliged to do, but I haven't done it yet.