Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Ducklet Cat's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Kuwait
      • Current Location:
      • Kuwait

    • Join Date: Dec 2005
    • Posts: 319
    #1

    Question Many a Times + And What Not?

    Hi,

    1. Some people say "Many a times" instead of "many times".
    Is that correct? What is the difference?

    I noticed that people with American accent use it. So, is it going to be understandable in the UK, Canda, and Australia or not?


    2. What does "and what not" mean?
    Is it like "...etc"?

    Thanks :)


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #2

    Re: Many a Times + And What Not?

    #1 Many a time OR Many times. They mean the same, and can be heard wherever English is spoken .

    #2 And what not = other things [unspecified]. Used in colloquial speech. "You get your certificates and what not for that"

  2. Ducklet Cat's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Kuwait
      • Current Location:
      • Kuwait

    • Join Date: Dec 2005
    • Posts: 319
    #3

    Re: Many a Times + And What Not?

    Thanks Anglica. :)

    I don't know why I can't get to understand "Many a time".
    Does it come from "many of this thing happened in a time"?


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #4

    Re: Many a Times + And What Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducklet Cat View Post
    Thanks Anglica. :)

    I don't know why I can't get to understand "Many a time".
    Does it come from "many of this thing happened in a time"?
    No - it is more like Time and time again / over and over >> many a time. If you like, it is a more poetic way of saying Many times

  3. Ducklet Cat's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Kuwait
      • Current Location:
      • Kuwait

    • Join Date: Dec 2005
    • Posts: 319
    #5

    Re: Many a Times + And What Not?

    SO many refers to "a time"?
    But many is for plural and "a time" is singular.

    Thanks anway. I guess I need to adapt and live accepting it ;)


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #6

    Re: Many a Times + And What Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducklet Cat View Post
    SO many refers to "a time"?
    But many is for plural and "a time" is singular.

    Thanks anway. I guess I need to adapt and live accepting it ;)
    Many a girl
    Many a rose
    Many a dog

    Many in this structure = noting each one of a large number (usually followedf by a or an): For many a day it rained.

  4. Ducklet Cat's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Kuwait
      • Current Location:
      • Kuwait

    • Join Date: Dec 2005
    • Posts: 319
    #7

    Re: Many a Times + And What Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Many a girl
    Many a rose
    Many a dog

    Many in this structure = noting each one of a large number (usually followedf by a or an): For many a day it rained.
    Got your point.
    But I guess it is unusual way of putting words.
    Many a time when I hear it, I'm baffled. :)

    Thanks Anglika.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •