• Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Afghanistan
      • Current Location:
      • Zimbabwe

• Post Thanks / Like

F*** him out of it

I'm reading a book about a girl in her twenties (the action takes place in this decade) who is completely devastated as her boyfriend has unexpectedly been killed in a car accident. Despite her catholic upbringing at first she finds no comfort in her faith, rather the opposite, she's so desperate she has a row with God and call him names for not letting her guy survive. It's a first person narration so she says when telling about the time of the accident and her reaction (after yelling at God):

"Not content with f**king God out of it, I attacked the rest of his family".

I'm not quite sure how to translate f**king someone out of it. Does it mean telling him off? Insult him? Venting out by insulting him? None of the above? I'll be very grateful if you could explain the exact meaning of this sentence.
    Last edited by Cristina de Felipe; 18-Aug-2008 at 22:21.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: F*** him out of it

I think the sentence MEANS: "Not content with just being angry with God, I decided to place my anger on his family, too."

But I don't recognize that particular phrasing. May be British.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Not Br E either, I'm afraid. I've heard both 'chew out' and 'bawl out' with this (apparent) sense, but I've never heard the F- version.

b

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cristina de Felipe View Post
    I'm reading a book about a girl in her twenties (the action takes place in this decade) who is completely devastated as her boyfriend has unexpectedly been killed in a car accident. Despite her catholic upbringing at first she finds no comfort in her faith, rather the opposite, she's so desperate she has a row with God and call him names for not letting her guy survive. It's a first person narration so she says when telling about the time of the accident and her reaction (after yelling at God):

"Not content with f**king God out of it, I attacked the rest of his family".

I'm not quite sure how to translate f**king someone out of it. Does it mean telling him off? Insult him? Venting out by insulting him? None of the above? I'll be very grateful if you could explain the exact meaning of this sentence.

more context pls. whats "it"? a sentence or 2 before and after this one, or paragraph containing sentence. title/author, author's 1st language?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Afghanistan
      • Current Location:
      • Zimbabwe

• Post Thanks / Like

That was my question, I wondered what it was, I assumed the sentence was some kind of idiom.

I'm not sure a full paragraph can be posted since this is copyrighted material. Thanks anyway!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Why can't you post a copyrighted paragraph?

You are not gaining profit from it, or trying to sell it, or trying to pass it off as your own.

You are simply discussing the passage with other people. You are showing us the words.