• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

shifty

Dear teacher,

Would you be kind enough to explain to me the ill conceald inconsistency beyond measure concerning the interpretation of the expression “to feel shifty”? On one hand “shifty” means “marked by treachery or deceit” and on other hand it means “inventive, resourceful, ingenious, imaginative”. I have read “The Arabian nights” but you know eaten bread is soon forgotten.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards

V.

Re: shifty

If "shifty" was used here, I would take it to mean that someone is looking or appearing dishonest. Someone who is acting shiftily will typically avoid looking directly at the other person.

Context for "to feel shifty" would be useful. It is more likely to be the phrase "to feel s h i t t y" = to feel not quite right in some way.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi Anglika,

There is the context in question concerning the inquiry in my original post.

"When I was last at Stansted airport I'd just got through customs, which always makes me feel shifty and uncomfortable, worrying if they're gonna shout at me for having an epi-pen or think my walking stick's a machine gun or something."

Assuming that there is such a thing “A shifty person is an uneasy person” so “I feel shifty”. = “I'm feeling uneasy about this situation”.About the same was your supposition.

I simply can’t make out why there is such a wheels within wheels. One word express positive and negative connotations at the same time.

shifty = 1. full of or ready with expedients : resourceful, inventive, ingenious, imaginative
    resourceful = able to meet situations : capable of devising ways and means <a resourceful leader>
    2. a: given to deception, evasion, or fraud : tricky b: capable of evasive movement : elusive <a shifty boxer>
    3. indicative of a tricky nature <shifty eyes>

Regards

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Hi Anglika,

There is the context in question concerning the inquiry in my original post.

"When I was last at Stansted airport I'd just got through customs, which always makes me feel shifty and uncomfortable, worrying if they're gonna shout at me for having an epi-pen or think my walking stick's a machine gun or something."

Assuming that there is such a thing “A shifty person is an uneasy person” so “I feel shifty”. = “I'm feeling uneasy about this situation”.About the same was your supposition.

I simply can’t make out why there is such a wheels within wheels. One word express positive and negative connotations at the same time.

shifty = 1. full of or ready with expedients : resourceful, inventive, ingenious, imaginative
    resourceful = able to meet situations : capable of devising ways and means <a resourceful leader>
    2. a: given to deception, evasion, or fraud : tricky b: capable of evasive movement : elusive <a shifty boxer>
    3. indicative of a tricky nature <shifty eyes>

Regards

V.
    It seems to mean restless here. Shifty - always shifting around, can't keep still, fidgeting, anxious. I haven't heard of those positive connotations of the word.

Nor have I -it's always had a negative connotation.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi Anglika and Raymott,

Shifty - always shifting around, can't keep still, fidgeting, anxious. I haven't heard of those positive connotations of the word. (Raymott)
    Nor have I -it's always had a negative connotation. (Anglika)

And what is your opinion concerning the subsection 3 from the definition of the word “shifty” in the following link:.
    shifty: Definition, Synonyms from Answers.com

In my humble opinion the meaning “able to accomplish what is needed; resourceful’ has positive connotation in excess.
    resourceful = having inner resources; adroit or imaginative
    resourceful: Definition, Synonyms from Answers.com

adroit = very able or skilled
    adroit: Definition, Synonyms from Answers.com

Regards

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Hi Anglika and Raymott,

Shifty - always shifting around, can't keep still, fidgeting, anxious. I haven't heard of those positive connotations of the word. (Raymott)
    Nor have I -it's always had a negative connotation. (Anglika)

And what is your opinion concerning the subsection 3 from the definition of the word “shifty” in the following link:.
    shifty: Definition, Synonyms from Answers.com
    If it was used in that context it would have positive connotations. But I've never heard it used in that context. I guess it must be used that way somewhere in the world if Answers.com has listed it.