• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

man of the world

Dear teachers,

There is a sentence in Harper Lee’s “To kill mockingbird” which drew my attention.

“There goes the worst man in the world”, murmured Calpurnia, and she turned her head away.”

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether the expresion in bold is the widely known idiom “man of the world”. I know the meaning of the expression in question namely “a sophisticated person, experienced in social conventions”. For example, “You can discuss anything with him--he's a man of the world, or “She's a woman of the world and understands these delicate issues” but I think that in the present case that meaning is unsuitable in combination with “worst”.

Thank you for your effors.

Regards,

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: man of the world

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

There is a sentence in Harper Lee’s “To kill mockingbird” which drew my attention.

“There goes the worst man in the world”, murmured Calpurnia, and she turned her head away.”

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether the expresion in bold is the widely known idiom “man of the world”. I know the meaning of the expression in question namely “a sophisticated person, experienced in social conventions”. For example, “You can discuss anything with him--he's a man of the world, or “She's a woman of the world and understands these delicate issues” but I think that in the present case that meaning is unsuitable in combination with “worst”.

Thank you for your effors.

Regards,

V.
    No, it means exactly what it says in this case.