• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

star-studded/turnout/larger-than-life/

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to verify the interpretations of the words in bold from the following sentence?

A star-studded turnout of mourners remembered U.S. singer-musician Isaac Hayes as a larger-than-life influence on many forms of popular music.

star-studded = set with stars

turnout = the number of people who come to or turn out for an event, (a funeral procession)

larger than life = very imposing or impressive

I know also the meaning of the idiom “large as life” Also, big as life. In person, as in
    “And there was Mary, big as life, standing right in front of me”. This phrase transfers the same size as in real life (life-size) to an actual appearance. Sometimes this term is embellished with and quite as natural, presumably alluding to a likeness of a person or thing that closely resembles the real thing.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V

Re: star-studded/turnout/larger-than-life/

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to verify the interpretations of the words in bold from the following sentence?

A star-studded turnout of mourners remembered U.S. singer-musician Isaac Hayes as a larger-than-life influence on many forms of popular music.

star-studded = set with stars Lots of stars of screen and stage attended.

turnout = the number of people who come to or turn out for an event, (a funeral procession)

larger than life = very imposing or impressive As a person, he loomed large in people's minds. It is more relating to his character and achievements than his physical presence.

I know also the meaning of the idiom “large as life” Also, big as life. In person, as in
    “And there was Mary, big as life, standing right in front of me”. This phrase transfers the same size as in real life (life-size) to an actual appearance. Sometimes this term is embellished with and quite as natural, presumably alluding to a likeness of a person or thing that closely resembles the real thing.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V